November 2014 Moms
Options

Laundry Detergent.

This is a really early topic, but it's been on my mind.

Dreft. Is it really necessary in the beginning?

Any STMs who didn't use dreft? What did you use?

Also, does anybody make their own that's baby friendly? I bought stuff (washing soda, borax, naptha-fels) to make my own but haven't yet as I've been collecting detergent bottles.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

Re: Laundry Detergent.

• Options
    I do use dreft still and my little guy is 17 months.  I think as long as the detergent is "baby friendly" it shouldn't matter.
    dancing animated GIF
    N14 November Siggy Challenge - Celebration
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerimageBabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never used Dreft. I used/still use All Free & Clear (no dyes/perfumes, etc) or the store brand of it, whichever is cheapest.
    Number One: Born 06.16.2009
    BFP: 01.17.2014 / MC 02.05.2014
    BFP: 03.08.2014 / MMC: 05.07.2014
    Dx: Gestational Trophoblastic Disease
    Currently on the bench. [Chart]

• Options
    abbyful said:
    Dreft is never necessary and is a waste of money. And it isn't good for babies because it's scented and has questionable ingredients. Just use a "Free & Clear" detergent, or make your own like you mentioned.
    Yeah, I heard that just using a fragrance/dye free detergent is just as good.

• Options
    Dreft is gross, smells nasty.  We use Charlies or Powder Tide.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    If you make your own, try a recipe that's borax free. If you gave the washing soda it's really not necessary and has some gross stuff in it.
  • Options
    KMW08KMW08 member
    Thanks for the reassurance & advice on what you ladies use. Dreft is just so expensive & I thought it seemed ridiculous as it's really the only one that markets itself specifically for babies.

image    image

• Options
    I make my own detergent and have been trying to find info too. Everywhere I have read says that home made detergent is good for babies. One website I was on said to leave out the Borax and use more washing soda, because sometimes Borax can irritate baby skin (not often)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    KMW08KMW08 member
    kegcrc said:

Just keep in mind not to use fabric softener if you want to keep the baby's clothing fire retardant. It will destroy that quality. (I took fiber related chemistry courses in college and I always remembered this...)

Just a random tidbit.

I don't use that anyways - my washing machine is smarter than myself and my mom! Haha, I think the cap where you're supposed to put in the fabric softener is super stuck. Neither of us could get it open or figure out where else it would go (other than a fabric softener ball) :-/

image    image

• Options
    Personally, I think Dreft smells nasty. We use All F&C as well, and have made our own, and sometimes get the Honest Co. detergent. My son has super sensitive skin and all of those have been fine for him, but Dreft makes him break out.

• Options
    ccamccam member
    I use Tide Free & Clear.  No need for Dreft.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    sj+cm131 said:
    Whoa - you have to use different /special laundry detergent for baby clothes? This is news to me...
    Baby skin is super sensitive and can react to dyes/scents that are in a lot of detergents. But like PP's said, usually one of the "Free and Clear" types is fine.
    Miney 9/15/10
    Mo 11/4/14 
    Wait, What?!? - EDD 11/1/19
    Mothers get 1 day off

• Options
    I also use All Free & Clear. I've never used dreft - never liked the smell and it's expensive.
    DD1 8.2008 | DD2 1.2010 | DD3 6.2012 | Baby #4 EDD 11.6.2014
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I used Dreft with my first only b/c my mom bought me a giant bottle of it. But with my 2nd I just used free and clear any brand, whatever is on sale. Much easier to wash all clothes together especially since I'll be doing laundry for 5.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I bought Dreft a few times, but yes, it's expensive. After that I just started using our regular detergent around the time DS was 8 months old. There are a lot of things I worry about, but decided that just wasn't one of them. I am interested in making detergent myself. I've never thought about that.
    BabyFruit Ticker

photo a127152b-984e-439e-89ea-e1171e65f4b4_zps179f42c8.jpg
  • Options
    I used dreft at first and then when I ran out switched to home made recipe, sounding similar to yours, for her too. I heard that the baby's skin gets used to what you are using for your clothes, and since I was only using dreft on hers, I figured "what the heck" and switched. No problems.
  • Options
    Oh geez....I planned on just using our regular soap.....I guess I can get a couple bottles of the free and clear stuff just for baby clothes.      Where would I be without you guys ?   :)

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
    BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

• Options
    I make my own using this recipe: https://theparsimoniousprincess.blogspot.com/2013/03/i-made-laundry-detergent-again-easy.html

It's super easy and cheap!  Just don't add the dish soap until you have all the water in there or it will be a sudsy mess. 
  • Options
    I bought one bottle of dreft before dd was born and then started using free & clear for our whole family's clothes and wash everything together.  I also use Oxi-Clean powder, free & clear. 
    Proud mama to:

*Jadeyn Rose 05/03/2005
    *Jordi Irene 05/08/2013
    *Baby P     EDD 11/24/2014
  • Options
    We already used Tide F&C because my stepson and I both have sensitive skin.  So that's what we used with LO and it didn't bother him.

We also used dryer sheets with no perfume or dyes in them either; however when my son was born he broke out from us using the dryer sheets on our clothes and then holding him.  We ended up getting those dryer balls to help with the static electricity since it was so dry in our house.  They worked okay...
     TTC #1 since June 2008
    M/C @ 6 weeks 12/31/2008, Ectopic @ 6 weeks on 4/23/2010
    Diagnosed Unexplained 11/2009-DH is fine-I don't get AF
    Cycle #22 - 1/27/11 - IUI #1 & Injections - BFP! - DS born 11/11/11 
    TTC#2 - 2/24/14 - IUI & Injections - BFP! - EDD 11/29/14
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    abbyful said:

Dreft is never necessary and is a waste of money. And it isn't good for babies because it's scented and has questionable ingredients.

Just use a "Free & Clear" detergent, or make your own like you mentioned.

Edit to add: In case you can't see my sig, I'm a STM.
    And also, another benefit of just using a free & clear, it's easier to just wash baby's stuff along with yours instead of doing separate loads.

Exactly all of this. I also stopped using dryer sheets.

After a little while, maybe 6 months, I did a load in regular, scented detergent again and when it was clear that my daughter didn't have any reaction to it I switched back.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I use scented Gain. My kids never had sensitive skin.
  • Options
    I did the research while I was pregnant with our 7 month old-and I decided to switch the whole family to "ALL Free and Sensitive". I have very sensitive skin but didn't want to have to purchase multiple detergents. The problem I had with using "baby" detergent was when to make the switch to "regular" detergent. Our LO hasn't had any issues with the detergent and our clothes are getting cleaned just like before.
  • Options
    I use what is on sale. Never had issues.

• Options
    We use Nellie's all the time for everyone in the family.   Works great...   All natural.

https://nelliesallnatural.com/internal/

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Options
    I used All Free & Clear or Kirkland Free & Clear with DD's clothes until she was about 6 months old.  Then I started to wash her clothes with our regular detergent.  Since she didn't develop a reaction or rash, I just phased the F&C out.  Dreft isn't necessary.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I used normal detergent with my daughter and she never had any type of issue with her skin. Why waste the money? I will use normal detergent this time around too unless it starts to cause a problem.
  • Options
    I don't think I've ever seen a thread so long for laundry detergent.

• Options
    lisaren said:

Was just thinking the same thing....actually I was like damn 8 new comments, did this become an argument?
  • Options
    Dreft makes me sneeze. I have used Tide Free for many years.

Me and oldest DS are allergic to fabric softener so I just don't use it.
  • Options
    I hate dreft detergent but I like the stain remover. We already used either tide or all free and clear so that's what I was DD's clothes in as well. I was not about to buy teo different detergents.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    babyganics doesn't have all the chemicals and harsh perfumes that the others have
  • Options
    KMW08KMW08 member
    Kristy774 said:

lisaren said:

Was just thinking the same thing....actually I was like damn 8 new comments, did this become an argument?

Is it bad that I LOL'd for real when I came back to the board and saw "1 new post" on this thread??

image    image

• Options
    I'm a detergent snob! I have to have good smelling laundry. I used Dreft when DS was born and it does not work! I did a load with our normal detergent and DS was fine. I never looked back.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Little O- 2/25/12
    BFP 2/28/14 MMC 14W2D D&C 5/07/14

• Options
    I never used Dreft. I used/still use All Free & Clear (no dyes/perfumes, etc)
    This. Any "free and clear" detergent is good, but I find that All brand is usually the cheapest.
  • Options
    I switched from my regular detergent to Norwex detergent and dryer balls. It seems pricey at first but it lasts forever! I love it!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"