May 2012 Moms
Options

Food Budget

A previous thread plus going over the budget has me wondering how you save money on food. Over the past several years, I have switched to mostly organic and stuff without preservatives. I find that it is significantly more expensive and doesn't seem to go on sale or have coupons nearly as much. Does anybody have suggestions about saving money on this type of food?

Re: Food Budget

• Options
    No idea for buying at the supermarket, the only way we have organic stuff is if I find it at the grocery outlet or I'm at a store that only has an organic version. We do grow a lot of our own food, tomatoes, potatoes, limes, grapes and cherimoya (tropical tree) we did grow our own peaches but our tree died. Because you get so much we trade with neighbors who have oranges or other stuff so there's some variety.
  • Options
    Look into checkout 51. I've just signed up myself so not sure about how well it works yet but I am in the same boat. I buy mostly organic and just found out we're expecting #2 so I HAVE to find a way to start saving some money on groceries.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Online there are a lot of organic coupons! I'll try to post links later
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    The other way to increase your savings is to learn to get health and beauty and house hold items for as close to free as possible. If you use store bought that is
  • Options
    I would love the links for organic coupons too!
  • Options
    https://www.bestorganicfoodcoupons.com
    Here's a quick list of links you have to sign up for newsletters but they email you coupons I suggest signing up for a second email address if you don't want your main one full
  • Options
    https://www.iamthatlady.com/best-organic-gluten-free-or-allergy-friendly-deals-of-the-week-4514/

Heres a great blog she is gluten free and does a post weekly of organic, gf and allergy safe deals and coupons
  • Options
    bellelambbellelamb member
    edited April 2014
    Also places like aldi has great prices on organic produce like $.99 baby carrots and $.59/lb bananas

And finding out when your store marks down meat and produce that is almost at it's sell by date is a BUG savings! If you cook or freeze the meat ASAP it's fine and a lot of veggies can be cooked and used later too! Like I get organic baby lettuce normally $4.99 marked down to $2.99 and use it in salads for a few days then cook with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"