Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Home from the Hospital!!

We had a very rough few days.  Thursday night I noticed Max having a hard time breathing. He was struggling on his own but as soon as I moved or roused him he responded and started breathing on his own. I called the pedi in the morning and went in. They sent us to the ER and contacted our Pedi GI.  In the ER, they ruled out RSV and tested him for pretussis (whopping cough).  They admitted us for observation for possible apnea.  However, the chest XRay showed possible pneumonia in his right lung.  What they think happened his he refluxed and aspirated into his lung.  He then quit breathing for a few seconds in order to protect his airway.  We spent 2 nights hooked up to IV antibiotics, IV Pepcid (to help his reflux) and monitors.  All in all, they atributed everything to his reflux. 

He didn't have any other episodes where he stopped breathing though his respiration rate does drop a little too low sometimes.  We are home now. I'm so glad to be home.  He is still on his 2 reflux meds, antibiotics, and they switched his formula again, and we are thickening his feeds. He is having a hard time with the thickened feeds.  Tomorrow I'm supposed to call and set up an appointment for Occupational Therapy to work on his eating.  He is so much happier. I love IV Pepcid.  It works so much better than the oral.  He is asleep in the bouncy. This NEVER happens.  I have to hold him all the time!  He is a new baby. I hope this continues. 

Did anything exciting happen around here?

Re: Home from the Hospital!!

• Options
    That's great he is doing so much better!
  • Options
    How scary! I'm glad he is okay! =)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I knew your LO was having trouble but I didn't get to go to the check-ins this week (H was sick and I was taking care of DS by myself.) I'm so glad your DS is feeling better. There is nothing worse than being at the hospital. Hugs to you and Max.
  • Options
    Oh geese.  So glad he's doing better!
  • Options
    That must have been so scary! I'm glad everything turned out ok.
  • Options
    how scary.  i'm glad you guys are back and doing ok.
  • Options
    Oh my... I am glad he is doing better and you found out what it was.
    "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -Dr. Seuss Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "The sound of your heart - It's the most significant sound in my world." Edward Cullen - Eclipse
  • Options

Oh Honey!!! I'm so sorry.  I'm glad the pepcid helped him.  :)  How are YOU doing?  I know how hard hospital stays are.  I hope the nurses helped you out.  *hugs*  If you have any questions feel free to email me- a_coblentz@hotmail.com   Josiah had to go to an OT for his eating once too. 

I hope the pepcid keeps helping.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"