Working Moms
Options

Morning Routines

What have you found that has worked for you and your LO (or little ones) for getting ready for work in the morning? 

It seems like our mornings are always so crazy between DH and I both trying to get ready for work and it seems like almost everyday lately LO wakes up early and in a mood of just wanting to be held...and screaming blood murder non-stop if you don't hold him.  I was almost in tears this morning before I even got out the door.  I feel like I'm almost always running late and frazzled.  There just seems like there has to be a better way or something that I am missing.   I've tried getting up earlier to get myself ready before LO wakes up, but this just seems to be an exercise in futility because the earlier I get up, the earlier LO wakes up.   

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:

Re: Morning Routines

• Options
    If you can do it the night before, do it the night before. Pack lunches, shower, put out clothes including accessories.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

imageXcrisscrossX:
    If you can do it the night before, do it the night before. Pack lunches, shower, put out clothes including accessories.

This.  And I do get up earlier to take care of myself and then I can focus on LO.  I don't go into his room until I'm ready for him to be up. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This worked with both of my kids.  I would get up around 6, when they were little I nursed put back down and nursed again before I left at 745. Once they were older got ready and nursed right before I left.  Nine times out of ten they woud go back to bed until the sitter got there at 830. If not they usually just played or my husband got up with them. On weekends neither one gets up until between 8 and 9. I think this is because i got them in the routine of nit getting up early. This might sound harsh, assuming he is older looks like he is almost a year, but don't hold him he will eventually be okay. When Ds wants out of the  crib I just set him up with some toys in the bathroom while I get ready and he is okay as long as he sees me. Worse case Have your nanny arrive earlier so you have 30 minutes to focus in getting out the door.  I thought I saw posts from you in reards to a nanny that is why I suggested the nanny. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I agree with PP.  I try to get as much ready the night before as possible.  Clothes (for me and DD1 when she's in school), lunches, bags all packed.  I don't eat breakfast at home, so that gets prepped and packed the night before as well.  Bottles are prepped for the morning - filled with water and waiting for formula in DD2's room.  I even started to shower the night before, just in case the morning was awful and I couldn't get in even for a quick 5 min shower.

DH leaves for work between 5:45 and 6am every day, so I'm on my own in the morning.   I'm still trying to figure out time to work out, and some mornings (like today) definitely don't run smoothly, but I feel like we're getting there...

• Options

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, I am doing everything I can the night before (including showering) and it doesn't seem like I can get up before him...I think part of the problem is that by the time we are approaching 6ish in the morning, he is sleeping pretty lightly and any little sound wakes him up.  We live in an older home so any sort of movement makes noise - creeks in the floor, etc.  If you turn on a water faucet or flush a toilet, it creates sounds in the pipes.  If you walk down the stairs, they creek.  And if I don't wake up before the alarm (which, fortunately, I usually do) that will most definitely wake him up...I think I could get up at 5 am and he would still wake up with me or shortly after me.  And I can never get him back to sleep after he is awake in the morning no matter how hard I try. Even when I get up 2+ hours before I have to leave in the morning, it still does not equate to me getting out the door any sooner because that is just extra time I am having to entertain him.  The only thing I can think to do is just to let him sit there and scream.  Even when I set him in the bathroom with me with toys, if I'm not holding him or playing with him, he screams.  For whatever reason, he is really needy/cranky in the mornings.

• Options
    Do you have one of those homedics sound spas? I would crank up the white hoise and turn on the overhead projector when he wakes up too early.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • Options

imageRVASC811:
    can you get a sound machine? can you wear him until the last possible moment? how old is he?

We have a sound machine and also run a fan. 

He has never liked being worn.  I was able to wear him only a little bit when he was a newborn.  Since then, he will have none of it. He hates it.  He squirms and throws a fit.   

He is 10 months old.

• Options
    imageIBackBevo:

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, I am doing everything I can the night before (including showering) and it doesn't seem like I can get up before him...I think part of the problem is that by the time we are approaching 6ish in the morning, he is sleeping pretty lightly and any little sound wakes him up.  We live in an older home so any sort of movement makes noise - creeks in the floor, etc.  If you turn on a water faucet or flush a toilet, it creates sounds in the pipes.  If you walk down the stairs, they creek.  And if I don't wake up before the alarm (which, fortunately, I usually do) that will most definitely wake him up...I think I could get up at 5 am and he would still wake up with me or shortly after me.  And I can never get him back to sleep after he is awake in the morning no matter how hard I try. Even when I get up 2+ hours before I have to leave in the morning, it still does not equate to me getting out the door any sooner because that is just extra time I am having to entertain him.  The only thing I can think to do is just to let him sit there and scream.  Even when I set him in the bathroom with me with toys, if I'm not holding him or playing with him, he screams.  For whatever reason, he is really needy/cranky in the mornings.

DD has always been an extremely light sleeper (and I am not in the least surprised beacuse I am also), but getting ready in the morning is just another reason we continue to use white noise in her room. We run a turbo fan the entire night and for naps. It si the only way anything can continue happening while she sleeps.

DD is often cranky in the mornings...again she inheirited her parents genes because neither her father, or I are morning people. Yet she is stubborn too and once up will not go right back down...I generally distract her with food. She will generally gladly calm down and snack on some cherrios while I do last minute "get out the door" tasks.  

• Options

I have to take my shower in the evenings. I don't like it at all but it's the only thing that works. I can get dressed and do my makeup in 15 minutes. If I curl my hair it adds another 10. I usually do that every other day. I get myself completely ready before I dress DS.

We are also on our own in the mornings because DH leaves for work by 6. DS has a white noise machine in his room which really helps us not wake him when we are up and moving about. DH leaves coffee made and I have that with a Luna bar and piece of fruit in the car. DS eats at his DCP but I offer him a piece of fruit before we get in the car.

It will get easier. Your LO is almost old enough to be sufficiently distracted by a cartoon while you get things together. I frequently park DS in his anywhere chair with a sippy cup and Peppa Pig on the TV while I get my lunch together and put our stuff in the car.

On really bad days I have strapped him into his carseat with the car running and a Fresh Beat Band CD playing while I went back in the house to get our stuff (like 5 steps away and only to pick up our stuff and come right back out, obviously). I figure that way at least he is safe in his carseat, even if he's crying. I can see the car from the kitchen window and don't have to worry about him hanging off of me or dashing toward the street while my hands are full.

DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    Can you and DH take turns getting ready and watching the kid?  Can you nurse then let DH watch him while you shower?  Then you take to daycare while DH showers?
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    skyejoskyejo member

DD2 is 10 months old and same thing.  She's 100% in the separation anxiety/hold me 24.7 phase. This morning I was able to keep her entertained with a bowl of Chex cereal.  Maybe try a snack if you haven't already. 

• Options
    ccamccam member
    I'm lucky in that DH and I get ready and leave for work at the same time, so he is a huge help!  We set our alarms for about an hour before DS usually gets up.  So if we don't snooze too many times, we have plenty of time to get ready.  DH takes all of 5 minutes to get dressed and ready so he grabs DS, gives him a bottle, gets him dressed and plops him on the bathroom floor with me.  DS has a few toys in the bathroom that he plays with while I finish getting ready.  If he's really fussy (like today!), I'll grab him something to snack on to keep him busy.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options

I get everything ready the night before.  I shower and blow-dry my hair before bed.  I have a very easy hairstyle that I usually just have to brush in the a.m.

I wake up 15-20 minutes before kids to get dressed, put on makeup, and start getting out the breakfast stuff.

In theory, DS gets up at 6:00.  Over the summer, he is usually up by 5:30.  

Breakfast is at about 6.  Takes about 20 minutes 'cause DS is the world's slowest eater.

6:20-6:40 get the kids dressed, teeth brushed, morning medicine, sunscreen

6:45 out the door

ETA: just saw your reply.  I would leave him in the crib for the 15 minutes it takes to get ready.  I don't go in to get DD until 6 even if she is awake. She was mad at first but after a week or so she started sleeping later. 

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"