July 2013 Moms
Options

48 hour formula feed

Our baby girl has been having jaundice issues unfortunately. They had her under the photo therapy lights twice already, but the numbers climb back up once she's out. Between that and doing endless bloodwork, they have ruled out everything except for something called breastmilk jaundice. I had previously never heard of this before. Apparently, in a small amount of babies (2.4%) something in my breastmilk can interfere with her body's ability to break down the biliruben. I was devastated when I heard this. It was very hard to hear that something my body is producing exclusively for her, could also be making her sick. Her pediatrician recommended formula feeding only for 48 hours to see if her levels drop again. I was very pro- ebf. I wanted very much to only feed her breastmilk. I was very committed and determined to stick with it and that it was the best thing for my baby. Obviously all I want is for her to get better. After the 48 hours is up, we can go back to breastmilk as long as her levels remain down. I am afraid that we will have trouble getting her back on breastmilk when this is over. Do you think I should be worried that she won't want it anymore? Her pediatrician recommended I pump during this time and store it so we don't lose any. I still can't believe that something that is supposed to be the best for her, could be hurting her. T & P please that we have finally found the cause of her jaundice, and that she returns to breastmilk once this is over. I've cried over this so much already.

Re: 48 hour formula feed

• Options
    I really wouldn't worry. I mean of course you're going to worry but this also happened to me and I was ebf my son had to stay in the nicu and I too felt disappointed in myself. He came out after the 48 hrs much better and he latched on better than ever. The nicu md told me that at less than 3 weeks of age babies are really quite easy to go back to breastfeeding. I also pumped during this time and now that my little guy is home we ebf and at 20 days old his jaundice levels have almost completely diminished. I know it seems like a deal breaker but it will get better. Good luck and hang in there.
    H born 07/02/2013
  • Options
    You're probably right about me being dramatic. I've been way more emotional than normal since having her. Dr said that sun time won't make enough of a difference. We were giving her a vit d supplement. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We had a problem with jaundice too and I completely understand being overwhelmed and upset - I was a wreck. I later realized it wasn't as huge a deal as I thought at the time but I had been in the hospital for almost a week after an unplanned induction for pree, a bad tear, and no sleep and having to keep her overnight for jaundice scared the crap out of me.  Our situation doesn't sound as bad as yours and I was allowed to breast feed while they kept her under the lights but it was so hard because  they gave me a time limit and she wouldn't stay awake and I was stressed so I only tried twice - the rest of the time they gave her formula and we supplemented the next day and a half well until we had our next Dr appointment.  She has gone back to breastfeeding just fine - no issues at all. (she's 3 weeks now and hasn't had any more formula)

I would do what the Dr says and continue to pump.  And if you aren't I would make sure to use a slow flow nipple on the bottle - and most importantly don't stress!  Important thing is your baby is eating!  I wouldn't worry about not being able to breastfeed - I'm sure you will be ok.  And if things aren't working out when you try again then try contacting a lactation consultant.

• Options
    DD goes back and forth between breast, bottle and formula. Sometimes she is bottle fed formula sometimes it is breastmilk. Don't worry about it.

ETA: you're going to want to pump anyways just so you don't end up engorged.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this. Your breast milk will still be the best option for her once this issue clears up. I know you had your heart set on EBF, but try to remember that this is just a temporary set back. I wouldn't worry about her going back to breast milk, but it may be beneficial to try alternative methods to formula feed, like syringe feeds. Ask your nurse and GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I'm sorry you're having a rough time. We are all overly emotional about every little thing now, don't worry about it! Hang in there, mama. Hope things get better soon.
    Mom to three girls and pregnant with #4!
    L: 7/12/13
    C: 5/11/15
    E: 3/7/17
    Due 11/10/18
  • Options
    Thank you for your replies ladies! I appreciate it.
  • Options
    We did this with DD and she returned to Breast Milk just fine. Don't borrow worry for yourself.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this. T P's to you and your LO!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"