1st Trimester
Options

Running pregnant breakfast?

I've been a distance runner for 12 years marathons and halfs. I have cut back on distance and am now almost 6 weeks pregnant. I've been ok'd to keep running at a moderate level. In the past I have always run early in the morning, then eaten breakfast immediately on my return. So long as I ate we'll the night before everything was fine. Now that I am pregnant, though, I wonder how good it is for the baby to put off breakfast for my run. Problem is that if I eat and then run, I get sick or get bad side stitches. Thoughts? Thanks! :

Re: Running pregnant breakfast?

• Options

Hi!

I also am an avid runner.  I have slowed down a bit and spin on somedays instead of running.  I also plan to quit running at about 20-24 weeks.  With my first one it was uncomfortable for me after this point.  I think it's fine if you feel fine.  I do not eat before running either.  I just would feel sick. So far I have not had a problem with early morning exercise before eating.   

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have an in-home IV form extreme ms (hyperemesis), but still try to get my runs in when I can... I have found that the days Imrun I have less nausea and vomiting, but there are more days that I have simply been too sick to do anything let a,one run. I say if you feel good, keep it up.  I don't think waiting on breakfast is a big deal at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageAFwifelife:
    As long as you are feeling good, I don't see why you couldn't run before breakfast.  I know that eating breakfast first thing kept my morning sickness away for a while and also I would wake up starving some times.  It's not going to hurt the baby.  Your body will take what it needs from you to provide for the baby.  You might feel sick but the baby won't be going without.

This! I am a runner as well, and in 1st tri I would HAVE to eat immediately upon getting up or else I'd get sick. So before my runs I would have some toast to help with the morning sickness, and it didn't effect my running. But if you're fine without eating, the baby is fine. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I run too, though not distance that you do.  I'm normally a 4-6 mile kind of girl :-)

My last pregnancy I couldn't run in the morning because I felt like absolute garbage.  So I say if you're feeling good, then running should be fine.  I would recommend having something on your stomach before you run just to make sure you don't start feeling sick during the run -- maybe a handful of crackers, half a banana, small yogurt, or whatever you like.  Or you could just take some gels with you in case you get hungry on your run (but be careful about the ones with caffeine in them!).

GL! 

imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would definitely eat first. You don't want to get all woozy or lightheaded or anything.

GL! 

• Options
    I always had to have a small glass of OJ before morning runs... that was pre pregnancy. As long as MS isn't bothering you, I don't think it would hurt baby to wait for breakfast.

I had to quit running at 20ish weeks. I got a maternity support band that got me through 15 to 20 weeks, my ute was crushing my bladder with every stride, but now it's just too uncomfortable.

Good for you for staying active!

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I run as well, just 10ks and halfs. I don't think it will hurt the baby if you don't eat before your run, but on your longer runs, I'd maybe eat whole wheat toast or maybe a banana or something before you go. PP hadvavgood idea with a smoothie or something simlar. Notbavlot, maybe just a little so that your stomach isn't empty and your mind can be at ease on your run.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"