May 2013 Moms

Tylenol for shots

Did anybody give LO Tylenol when they got their 2 month shots? Did you give it before and after? Or just after? Not looking forward to this tomorrow :

Re: Tylenol for shots

• Thanks for asking this. I received advice to give it before, but I don't like the idea of unnecessarily medicating. I am very curious to see these responses.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • There is new research that shows that giving Tylenol with the first set of shots at 2-month makes the immunizations less effective.  I would try to refrain if possible, but if LO gets a fever or is completely miserable, you can give it to them. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekelly422:
    There is new research that shows that giving Tylenol with the first set of shots at 2-month makes the immunizations less effective.  I would try to refrain if possible, but if LO gets a fever or is completely miserable, you can give it to them. 

I received this same advice from our pediatrician.  I'm glad I didn't give it to LO, he didn't need it ... And at that age I want to keep meds to a bare minimum. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• imagebdifazio:

imagekelly422:
    There is new research that shows that giving Tylenol with the first set of shots at 2-month makes the immunizations less effective.  I would try to refrain if possible, but if LO gets a fever or is completely miserable, you can give it to them. 

I received this same advice from our pediatrician.  I'm glad I didn't give it to LO, he didn't need it ... And at that age I want to keep meds to a bare minimum. 

same here. S got her shots yesterday and although she was quite a bit more fussy and wanted to be close last night and today, she didn't get a fever so we didn't have to give her any tylenol.

• I gave Tylenol a few times the day after shots--DS had a low fever and was clearly in a lot of pain. One thing you can do  is rub arnica gel on baby's thighs before shots, and for 3 days after (3x/day). It's a natural pain reliever, and has helped soothed both of my kiddos during/after shots. Good luck!
  • He's had shots twice so far with no fever so I haven't given him anything.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekelly422:
    There is new research that shows that giving Tylenol with the first set of shots at 2month makes the immunizations less effective. nbsp;I would try to refrain if possible, but if LO gets a fever or is completely miserable, you can give it to them.nbsp;

Got same advice and only gave it to LO that night when he was getting a fever and inconsolable.
  • We gave it to her almost 12hrs later because she had a low grade fever and was having an extremely hard time going down for bed. We gave less than the dosage for her weight.
  • Thanks for asking this!!! We have our 2 month apt tomorrow too (even though we're at 10 weeks tomorrow)

• imagekelly422:
    There is new research that shows that giving Tylenol with the first set of shots at 2month makes the immunizations less effective. nbsp;I would try to refrain if possible, but if LO gets a fever or is completely miserable, you can give it to them.nbsp;

Wow this is good to know! Thanks!
  • I gave calpol which is the same as tylenol.  I gave one2.5ml dose 6 hours after her shots when her temp started to rise (it was 37.5).  I was told to expect a mild fever but to give her calpol if DD's temp got to 38 or she was clearly distressed and in pain.  I gave it when her temp was 37.5 and her leg started to go a bit red.  She's much better now but still not herself. She's still feeding which is a relief in itself.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Jack had his shots yesterday. He was fine for about 2 hours and then was in clear pain so we gave him one dose. He is fine today. 
    photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • HZ2012HZ2012 member
    imagecrazycoffeegirl:
    imagebdifazio:

imagekelly422:

same here. S got her shots yesterday and although she was quite a bit more fussy and wanted to be close last night and today, she didn't get a fever so we didn't have to give her any tylenol.

All of this. LO had his shots today and no Tylenol was necessary. He's just sleeping a lot.
  • No Tylenol for our LO, luckily she didn't have any side effects from her shots. I'd wait to see how your LO reacts before medicating!
  • We have LO one dose about 6 hrs after. He got a low fever and one of his legs swelled and was red. He was miserable.

TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• A has her 2 month appointment Monday.  I am giving her Tylenol before her appointment.

• imageordinary1:

A has her 2 month appointment Monday.  I am giving her Tylenol before her appointment.

You might want to hold off. See above posts about Tylenol decreasing efficacy of immunizations.  

• MrsRKJMrsRKJ member
    imageordinary1:

A has her 2 month appointment Monday.  I am giving her Tylenol before her appointment.

Also, the pedi will give you dosing instructions based on her weight.  I'd wait. 

Welcomed our baby boy Henry on March 15, 2013 (7 weeks early!)

TTA until 2014

• Our pedi said that giving Tylenol before the vaccination is no longer recommended. She said we could give it to little man if he developed a fever after getting the vaccinations. Little man did develop a fever the next day so we gave him the Tylenol then.

• imagekelly422:
    imageordinary1:

You might want to hold off. See above posts about Tylenol decreasing efficacy of immunizations.  

I did read above posts. What I didn't see were facts or links to facts. I saw new research. New "research" comes out daily and isn't valid.
  • imageMrsRKJ:
    imageordinary1:

Also, the pedi will give you dosing instructions based on her weight.  I'd wait. 

I have a dosing chart.
  • I saw tears come out of my son's eyes for the first time, and that is when I gave him a tiny bit of medicine, well under the allowed dosage. That needle went so far into his leg, it was very disturbing.  
  • imageordinary1:
    imagekelly422:
    imageordinary1:

I did read above posts. What I didn't see were facts or links to facts. I saw new research. New "research" comes out daily and isn't valid.

I didn't see where you ASKED for research or links.  Here is the study that is VERY well known (and followed) with the Pediatric community:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)61208-3/fulltext  

• imageordinary1:
    imageMrsRKJ:
    imageordinary1:

I have a dosing chart.

Depending on your Tylenol, the formulations are now standardized, so I would still double check with your Pedi.  Unless you know everything.  

• imagekelly422:
    imageordinary1:
    imageMrsRKJ:
    imageordinary1:

I have a dosing chart.

Depending on your Tylenol, the formulations are now standardized, so I would still double check with your Pedi.  Unless you know everything.  

Obviously. She knows enough about medical "research" that she puts it in quotes because it clearly doesn't exist. 

Pregnancy Ticker     

• imagebdifazio:
    imagekelly422:
    imageordinary1:
    imageMrsRKJ:
    imageordinary1:

I have a dosing chart.

Obviously. She knows enough about medical "research" that she puts it in quotes because it clearly doesn't exist. 

Oh yes that must be it. I put research in quotes because a lot of papers get called research. Doesn't mean it's sound. We can agree to disagree without being rude.
  • imageordinary1:
    imagebdifazio:
    imagekelly422:
    imageordinary1:
    imageMrsRKJ:
    imageordinary1:

I have a dosing chart.

Oh yes that must be it. I put research in quotes because a lot of papers get called research. Doesn't mean it's sound. We can agree to disagree without being rude.

Why don't you just call your pedi ahead of time and see what they suggest?
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageordinary1:
    imagebdifazio:
    imagekelly422:
    imageordinary1:
    imageMrsRKJ:
    imageordinary1:

I have a dosing chart.

Then read the paper and you will realize it's a well done study and if it is the new recommendation, it was obviously a "sound" study!!! Do your research. 

• imageordinary1:
    imagebdifazio:
    imagekelly422:
    imageordinary1:
    imageMrsRKJ:
    imageordinary1:

I have a dosing chart.

Your right... It just seemed a bit flagrant that while many of us had our doctors tell us not to, you were going to because we hadn't proven it to you.  Clearly you'll do whatever is best for you and your LO, but I might contact your ped first.  Seems as though no Tylenol unless necessary is the most common advice. 

Pregnancy Ticker     

• I always gave my DD1 pain reliever / fever reducer after shots 1.25cc , she is perfectly healthy. I am doing the same with DD2 also. I know how I would feel if I got 5 shots ! But to each their own
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"