Breastfeeding
Options

Yearly appt rant

Just had my yearly appt. Dr said, 'I see you're still bf. That's great to make it to 14 months. How long do you plan to continue?' I reply, 'until DS decides he's not interested.' She replies, 'ok, just so you know. They don't receive any nutritional value after 1 year so really after a year, you're bf for you.'

I changed the subject quickly. What would you have said back?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Yearly appt rant

• Options

Infants don't receive all of their needed nutrients from BFing alone. From birth I am/was required to supplement with vitamin D. By 6 months LO needs iron rich foods (I was told meat by my public health nurse).

Just because BM doesn't cover all the bases for a growing baby doesn't mean it has no nutritional value. Besides, antibodies are an awesome bonus.

"What are you having?" "Well the radiologist says its a healthy little human baby. I'm a little disappointed, because I really wanted a puppy." LOL
  • Options

Mine said the same thing. Glad to have some rejoinders for the 15 month appointment now.

And toddlers have teeth and strong arms, if he didn't want to nurse, he wouldn't!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was talking about these kind of comments with moms in my BFing group the other day.

I think it's funny that no one comments that ice cream, Starbucks, etc has no nutritional value, but people are very quick to point out [incorrectly] that extended nursing doesn't have nutritional value.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"