Breastfeeding
Options

EBF and TTC

My LO is 8.5 months and EBF except for some solids (BLW). I had a Mirena IUD inserted at 6 weeks pp in the midst of PPD when I thought we would wait at least 2 years to try for our second (if ever!). Change of plans. We have decided to start TTC #2 in Oct. I have not had a pp period but I don't know if it is because of the Mirena or breastfeeding. I have decided to get the Mirena removed tomorrow to eliminate that factor and see if my cycle will start. If my period does not return because of breast feeding would it be worth temping while breastfeeding to determine ovulation? Or if I am not having a period can I assume I am not ovulating? I am not interested in weaning to conceive, anyone have success TTC while EBF?

Thanks in advance ladies!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: EBF and TTC

• Options

You will ovulate once before your period comes back, but realistically, you can assume you're pretty unlikely to get pregnant until your cycle comes back.

I was on the mini pill until DS was 14 months. I got my period back 3 weeks after I quit that, and then I got pregnant 2 cycles after that when he was 18 months. He was still breastfeeding a lot at that point - 4-8 x a day. 

Night weaning helps bring back ovulation for a lot of women; if you get to Sept/Oct and still don't have a period, you could try weaning just from 11 pm to 6 am if your baby doesn't STTN. 

• Options
    imagetokenhoser:

You will ovulate once before your period comes back, but realistically, you can assume you're pretty unlikely to get pregnant until your cycle comes back.

What she said.
    I went off the mini pill at 9 months pp but didn't get my first period till 15 months pp, and since then I've only had 2 more, but that could be because DD is still nursing quite frequently. 
    Also, not pregnant, but that is because DH deployed long before I got my cycle back. Hopefully once he gets home it won't take too long to get KU. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"