August 2011 Moms
Options

Moby/baby wearing question

I didn't do any baby wearing with DD1, but I really want (need!) to with the new little one.  I need my hands free to take care of DD1.  I had a sash wrap, and DD2 hated it, so I took it back and picked up a Moby wrap over the weekend.

Here's my question...if you used a carrier or wrap with a newborn, did it take some time for the two of you to get comfortable with it?  I have had DD2 in the wrap, comfortably, twice now, but she only lasted 10 minutes.

Also, when would you put your newborn in the wrap?  I feel like between nursing, changing diapers, and then her falling asleep, I can't find a good time to get her into the wrap so we can get used to it.

Sorry, I know these questions are probably kinda lame for those of you experienced in this...I'm just nervous with DH starting back to work and school this week, so I am trying to figure out logistics of handling the two of them on my own!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Moby/baby wearing question

• Options

I would put Hank in the stroller, wrap Otis up and take a small walk around the block.

When we went grocery shopping with Jay I would wrap Otis up and put Hank in the cart.  That way, if anything went south, I could just carry Otis or hand him off so the trip wasn't a waste.

Any time we we went out, I'd practice.  If I "had" to get a chore done during the day and he was awake, I'd give it a try.

Good luck!!  We used the Moby and really liked it.  I don't know if I still have mine...  I might have to pick up another one.

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

I pretty much let my newborns live in the Moby.  Lots of naps.  I wouldn't expect her to be getting antsy after 10 minutes though.  Is that when you sit or stand still?  A lot of babies need constant motion while being worn (both of mine did/do).

J&K, have you looked into/thought about a woven wrap for new baby girl?  It's a babywearing lifesaver for me with 2u2, I would imagine it'd be awesome for a mom of three (allows for early on back carries, extremely versatile...lmk if you want more info...there's a FANTASTIC Sac-area BWing FB group!!).

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJaysonandKristin:

I would put Hank in the stroller, wrap Otis up and take a small walk around the block.

When we went grocery shopping with Jay I would wrap Otis up and put Hank in the cart.  That way, if anything went south, I could just carry Otis or hand him off so the trip wasn't a waste.

Any time we we went out, I'd practice.  If I "had" to get a chore done during the day and he was awake, I'd give it a try.

Good luck!!  We used the Moby and really liked it.  I don't know if I still have mine...  I might have to pick up another one.

Good idea practicing when all four of us are together, I'm definitely going to make a point of doing that.  And a short walk with the stroller sounds great, I'm hoping the heat eases up later this week so we can go outside without roasting!

• Options
    imageStefandTodd:

I pretty much let my newborns live in the Moby.  Lots of naps.  I wouldn't expect her to be getting antsy after 10 minutes though.  Is that when you sit or stand still?  A lot of babies need constant motion while being worn (both of mine did/do).

J&K, have you looked into/thought about a woven wrap for new baby girl?  It's a babywearing lifesaver for me with 2u2, I would imagine it'd be awesome for a mom of three (allows for early on back carries, extremely versatile...lmk if you want more info...there's a FANTASTIC Sac-area BWing FB group!!).

Now that you mention it, she was fine while I was moving around - cleaning up breakfast - but she started crying when I sat down to help DD with something.  I think you are right, she liked the constant motion.  I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the tip!

• Options
    I always had a hard time sitting and baby wearing dd1.  Also, I had a hard time with wraps and slings for newborns. We've been using the ergo exclusively this time around and dd2 seems to love it.  Ill break out my sling when dd is bigger.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I couldn't get used to the moby. I must have bought and returned 5 different carriers. I finally ended up with the ergo.

I think some babies just don't like to be worn.
  • Options
    imageBnchaNums:
    I always had a hard time sitting and baby wearing dd1. nbsp;Also, I had a hard time with wraps and slings for newborns. We've been using the ergo exclusively this time around and dd2 seems to love it. nbsp;Ill break out my sling when dd is bigger.

Hmm. A friend loaned me her Ergo, but I don't have an infant insert. I heard there's a trick to use a rolled up receiving blanket in its place, maybe I'll give that a try tomorrow and see how she responds to that carrier.
  • Options
    imagemelissa0726:
    imageBnchaNums:
    I always had a hard time sitting and baby wearing dd1. nbsp;Also, I had a hard time with wraps and slings for newborns. We've been using the ergo exclusively this time around and dd2 seems to love it. nbsp;Ill break out my sling when dd is bigger.
    Hmm. A friend loaned me her Ergo, but I don't have an infant insert. I heard there's a trick to use a rolled up receiving blanket in its place, maybe I'll give that a try tomorrow and see how she responds to that carrier.
    def try. I have the insert but it's way too hot. I just took the pillow out of the bottom and used that under her legs. A blanket would work just as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageBnchaNums:
    imagemelissa0726:
    imageBnchaNums:
    def try. I have the insert but it's way too hot. I just took the pillow out of the bottom and used that under her legs. A blanket would work just as well.

This is exactly why I haven't bothered to buy or borrow one, I keep hearing that.  I'll def try the blanket today!  I like the Moby for around the house, but I don't feel like it's practical to get into and out of for a quick trip into a store with both kids.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"