Stay at Home Moms
Options

Speech Therapy at 12 months?

At DD's 12 month appointment, her pediatrician was concerned because she isn't really saying any words yet.  She referred us to a speech therapist, but we would probably have to pay out of pocket for any services.

She says bababa all the time and sometimes says dadada.  I have heard her say nanana but not consistently and once she said "muuu".  She also makes lots of vowel sounds and a few other less clear sounds.

She now says something that is a cross between baba and bye bye and waves when DH leaves for work or other appropriate times, but we think she also says bye bye when she means hi too.

As for her receptive language, there are about 10 items around the house she will look at or point to when we ask where they are.  She responds to No and her name and will do other things if we say them and point (I.e. put the ball in the can).

She likes having books read to her and wants her favorites read to her over and over.

She has been on the late side with meeting most of her milestones.  She didn't crawl until 10 months, didn't start saying baba or dada until 8 months.  Would you see a speech therapist at this point or wait? 

Re: Speech Therapy at 12 months?

• Options
    Ummm, no, I would not be seeing a speech therapist at this point. And since when is crawling at 10 mos. "late?" I think your pedi is a nut-bag.
  • Options

I agree with pp.  My son is in speech therapy for EI.  It's not income based, all people can use it for free up to age 3 if your child qualifies.  You just call and make an appt, take them in for a screening, and if they qualify, they will set you up with free services.  If not, they pat you on the back and send you on your way. :) 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagepitterpatter129:

I agree with pp.  My son is in speech therapy for EI.  It's not income based, all people can use it for free up to age 3 if your child qualifies.  You just call and make an appt, take them in for a screening, and if they qualify, they will set you up with free services.  If not, they pat you on the back and send you on your way. :) 

But, honestly, what will they tell her at 12 months? In the absence of other significantly apparent developmental delays, I'm not understanding how they would even go about this. Tons of kids don't talk at 12 months, and it means nothing.

This is a genuine question, not meant to be snotty. If there is some way to determine if a year-old child is delayed vs. simply a late talker, I'd love to hear about it. 

• Options
    Your pedi sounds crazy. At 12 months my DS couldn't say a single word.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrs.Hizzo:
    imagepitterpatter129:

But, honestly, what will they tell her at 12 months? In the absence of other significantly apparent developmental delays, I'm not understanding how they would even go about this. Tons of kids don't talk at 12 months, and it means nothing.

This is a genuine question, not meant to be snotty. If there is some way to determine if a year-old child is delayed vs. simply a late talker, I'd love to hear about it. 

No, I wouldn't go in at 12 months. Most kids don't speak at 12 months! PP had said to wait until at least 18 months and I agreed with that. We didn't go until age 2, but he has a significant delay due to hearing loss before 14 months old because of multiple ear infections.  He had tubes put in before we started services.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagepitterpatter129:
    imageMrs.Hizzo:
    imagepitterpatter129:

No, I wouldn't go in at 12 months. Most kids don't speak at 12 months! PP had said to wait until at least 18 months and I agreed with that. We didn't go until age 2, but he has a significant delay due to hearing loss before 14 months old because of multiple ear infections.  He had tubes put in before we started services.

Sorry, I misunderstood. 18 mos. seems much more reasonable.

• Options

imageCurlingRocks:
    imagecjcouple:
    12 months seems young to me. But dont you have early intervention or birth to 3 type program? It is free and they offer evaluations and therapy through them. Also if the delay happens to move past age 3, they do all the work of enrolling them into the school program. I would probably wait until 18 months and then if concerned call. But definitely look into ei in your area.
    We have to pay for our services because of our income level.

:(  That stinks.  I didn't realize (I just looked it up though :) ) that some services you have to pay for in some states.  They didn't even ask for our income information here.  It was all free. 

• Options
    I would not see one at 1 and I might get a new ped. We started seeing one at 18 mo. and it was a total waste. She was just a late talker.
  • Options

Thanks everyone for the input.  This is really helpful. The pedi initially referred us to ECI, but In Texas, ECI won't come out to evaluate for a speech delay at 12 months. So when I called the nurse's line to tell them this, they referred me to private speech therapy.  

For the record, my pedi didn't say crawling at 10 months was late--I just meant that it was later than alot of my friend's kids.  This was our first time seeing this pedi.  We weren't super impressed....

• Options

Yeah I would def find different doc. IMO older doctors tend to be a little less alarmist with this kind of stuff. Our LO was barely making any sounds at 12 months and our doc said that as long as he seems interested in communicating and is moving a lot he would be fine. 

Don't let yourself stress over this one. Sounds like a pedi that needs to take a chill pill. 

• Options
    imageMrs.Hizzo:
    imagepitterpatter129:

you generally can't tell if a two year old is a late talker or delayed but either way they should be in speech therapy if there's limited speech. My son had single words up until 2.5 Until out of the blue he started speaking in five word sentences with proper pronoun/verb use.

therapists can and do see kids as young as 12 months. With my sons speech delay they were extra vigilant with my DDs development since she was at high risk. They told me if she wasn't babbling consonant sounds by one they would want to start therapy. I'm not referring to the op at all--it seems like she should wait it out until 18 months because there are some sounds there. I'm just saying there are some situations that warrant speech therapy at 12 months, like a kid born at 23 weeks gestation with no babbling. In terms of how they go about it, they do have standardized tests that young and speech therapy is play based. They start with encouraging mimicking the simplest sounds, like ah and go from there.

• Options
    imagemobraniff:

Yeah I would def find different doc. IMO older doctors tend to be a little less alarmist with this kind of stuff. Our LO was barely making any sounds at 12 months and our doc said that as long as he seems interested in communicating and is moving a lot he would be fine. 

Don't let yourself stress over this one. Sounds like a pedi that needs to take a chill pill. 

yeah, she is super young.  we switched because we had an older doctor we felt was TOO laid back--we need a happy medium.  Lol. 

• Options
    uh no- my Nick is in speech- he started at 2.  Wait.  If at 18 months she is still behind have her evaluated.  I had both my boys evaluated at 18 months- neither qualified.  John had a HUGE language explosion at 20 months- Nick not so much.  So we reevaluated at 2.
  • Options
    abs05abs05 member

imageletranger:
    Needed no. But if I could turn back time I would have enrolled m earlier in EI.

Ditto.  We didn't seek therapy until 2 and I regret it.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would not send my child to speech at 12 months. DD has a little speech issue and when I called a therapist they said they wouldn't see a child until they are 3 unless its a huge issue they would know after assing them.
    FYI most public schools have speech therapist even in elementary. Out here in Ca all you need to do is call you local school district ask about speech therapy they will send you out a packet to fill out, schedule an assessment and if they think the child needs it they will schedule you in and it's all free.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"