Breastfeeding
Options

XP: Low Afternoon/Evening Supply - Help!

I wrote a little while ago about how LO was screaming while nursing - well, that's continued and I'm convinced now that it because my supply is drastically dropping in the evening.  So here we are, a few weeks later, and the situation is driving me up the wall.  It hurts my heart to hear him scream and know he is not getting enough.  I try to keep him latched but after both sides are empty (and believe me, they are empty - I can't even pump or hand-express anything after he's done) and he's tried for a while to get more, he's done with nursing.  A few days have seen me ask DH to give him a couple more ounces in a bottle to top him off while I try to pump (and nothing comes out).

Here's where I am confused: my morning supply is huge.  I know, with a baby that STTN, that is normal.  As is it normal for my supply to drop in the evening after a day of nursing.  But it was never a problem before, I haven't really changed much in my daily routine, and now it seems that I'm dealing with two extremes.  I've been eating oatmeal in the mornings and increasing my water intake in case I was a little dehydrated from the heat wave, but it hasn't helped yet.  I don't really want to increase my overall supply (my breasts seriously hurt so much in the morning already), but I don't know if I can limit it just my afternoon supply either.

FTR, he is down to four feedings a day (on his demand, not my preference) and the last weighted feed I did with him a few days ago was about 7oz.  We just had a pedi appointment and he is still gaining well and on track with his previous gains.  And of course, I leave for a four-day trip without LO in just over a week, which I'm counting on messing up my supply (I will be pumping and dumping) and am scared I will come back to a baby that is fed up with me and prefers the bottle.

Any and all advice or suggestions are appreciated!!!  TIA! (And thanks for reading all of this!!!)

Re: XP: Low Afternoon/Evening Supply - Help!

• Options
    imagetheresat858:

I doubt that 4 feedings a day is sufficient for a 4 month old...or for your supply. I would try to feed more often during the day, and see how that does. It's normal to be engorged in the AM if your LO STTN.  Could you maybe pump in the morning and use that to supplement in the evenings?

ETA: While you are gone, try to pump every 3 hours if not more often - your supply should be fine if you do that.  I would also consider asking the hotel for a fridge and bringing your milk back; there is no reason to pump and dump; it's only a slight hassle to bring milk through security.

There is no hotel - I am going to cheer camp at a university campus and am staying in the dorms.  It's honestly too much of a hassle to bring it back and I really don't need to.  I've been pumping in the mornings for the last two months, so we have plenty to supplement a bit right now and for LO while I am gone.  A bunch is getting donated to the milk bank as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"