May 2013 Moms
Options

Babies weight

So I went to the gastroenterologist today and my LO went from 7lbs 13oz two weeks ago to 8Lbs 5oz today. She will be 2 months on July 9th. We had problems with the formula like I had mentioned on some posts. He wanted to add a tsp of rice cereal in every bottle. Personally I said no because she just started gaining weight on her own. He told me to come back next week since I didn't want to add the cereal so we can check her weight again. I said depending on what happens from today until Monday then we can revisit the idea of rice cereal. Was I wrong for saying no? What would you have done? Just looking for opinions.

Re: Babies weight

• Options
    I would listen to the doctor considering they have 7 years of school that I don't have. But in the end whatever you choose.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had to do this with DS1. We added it to both pumped breastmilk and formula since he spit up everything. He ended up going from 0 percent weight and 30 length to 30 and 90. Trust your doctor.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Definitely trust your dr. Most important thing is for the LO to gain weight
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I think I'm going to try and call him tomorrow after I talk with her pediatrician. I'm just so nervous especially since she's on hypoallergenic formula and only spit it up yesterday and maybe one other day since we last saw him. We just want to do what's best for her but I guess I'm just worried over nothing. First he told me that it was great she gained weight she's on the right track then mentions the cereal so I didn't know what was right.
  • Options
    I think you follow your gut, which is what you did. My SIL refused to do this with her DS and he was DX as failure to thrive before she did anything, OBVIOUSLY you wouldn't do that but if you think its too much to add then don't. Theres  nothing wrong with a lean baby as long as everything else is on track IMHO
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Personally, i would follow doctors orders. Our pedi told us to add a tsp of rice cereal per ounce to J's bottle after he was diagnosed with reflux. His gastro dr told us to continue with the rice cereal and even added lactulase 2x a day for constipation problems. Like your LO, J had a hard time regaining his birth weight. It took him 3 weeks, and one threat of putting him back in the hospital with a feeding tube. Now, he is at the top of the charts as far as weight, even though he was a late premie.
  • Options
    imagebeppes1013:
    Personally, i would follow doctors orders. Our pedi told us to add a tsp of rice cereal per ounce to J's bottle after he was diagnosed with reflux. His gastro dr told us to continue with the rice cereal and even added lactulase 2x a day for constipation problems. Like your LO, J had a hard time regaining his birth weight. It took him 3 weeks, and one threat of putting him back in the hospital with a feeding tube. Now, he is at the top of the charts as far as weight, even though he was a late premie.

Oh my thank you for sharing this. I'm glad your LO is doing better now. The feeding tube is what we are afraid of so with you saying this really makes me change my mind. It's just confusing being a FTM and feeling like everything is good with your baby but you want to follow your gut even if it's different from the doctors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"