Natural Birth
Options

Alert, Active Participation

Hello, NB board!

DH and I are currently TTC number 2. With DS, we had planned a Bradley birth, but I ended up being induced, stuck in bed on monitors, on the highest permissible dose of pitocin...and with no break between super intense contractions, I became afraid and requested an epidural. Long story short, it was not the birth experience I had hoped for.

This time around I would like to try again for an unmediacated hospital birth, and able to approach it with much more knowledge and without fear of the unknown, I think my chances are better.

I have been researching other NB methods than Bradley and wanted to ask anyone familiar with hypno methods: would you describe yourself as alert and as an active participant in your birth? The idea of creating an association that is relaxing is a nice one, but I wonder if this method makes the mother less "present" for her birth, and this is really important to me.

I know it seems like an odd question, but I read that hypnobabies specifically uses hypnosis techniques used on patients in surgeries without anesthesia, and it made me wonder!

Thanks, ladies! If this was too long, I apologize. ;D
imageimage

Re: Alert, Active Participation

• Options
    I am doing the hypnobabies study right now, and I feel like I will be alert during the birth. It's an 'eyes open' hypnosis, so you can still interact and be a part of the process as much as you want. Hope this helps! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree with the previous posters. Hypno babies is all about realization, not being "out of it." Ideally you are focused inwards and attune with what your body is doing so you may appear zonked out to others, but you are totally present. Best of luck!
     AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

F15 Siggy Challenge: What You're Looking Forward to Most After Baby Arrives: BELLY SLEEPING!

photo c433cf4d-aa40-443c-af77-110275d91d89.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is a good question.  Hypno-approaches really should make you more aware of what is going on, not less.  You can choose to ignore the unimportant and focus on what does matter to you.  It's hard to explain, but you think even more clearly because you are only paying attention to what is important.  For example, I was fully dilated and I told my MW I was ready to push.  She asked me if I wanted my bag broken before I started pushing.  I asked her the advantages to this, thought about it and declined.  Right before crowning I agreed to let my MW break my bag and when she did I said, "Was the water clear?"  I was 30 sec from giving birth and yet still I was thinking so clearly.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"