January 2013 Moms
Options

4 month wakeful that just won't end

her non-sleeping at night just goes on and on...  Last night she cried on and off for over an hour before going to sleep then was up every  2 hours after that.  A couple times I let her be to see if she'd go back to sleep, nope, she started crying harder and harder.  I nursed at 3:30 and she finally fell into a deep sleep, but of course I had to wake her at 6 to go to work.  I don't think it's hunger, she just snacks a little and falls back asleep.

RIght now she sleeps better for naps (swaddled) than at night.  She's almost 6 months so I'm not going back to the swaddle, but I think its the pacifier causing all this grief.  She plucks it out herself when she's trying to fall asleep, then gets mad that it's gone and she can't find it to put it back.  I tried to see how long she'd cry if I didn't put it back in but it escalated for over 20 mins and she was not calming down, so I ended up nursing her to sleep.  She seems to need the pacifier so bad, I feel bad thinking about taking it away, but I can't do this every night.  She has had great nights in the past when I never have to go in there and put it back, AND she'd go down drowsy, so why this horrible regression now????

I'm just venting, maybe other's can commiserate with me. DS never went through this, he was STTN pretty consistently at this point. 

William born 9/7/07
Violet Mae born 1/15/13
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: 4 month wakeful that just won't end

• Options
    I'm with you. We moved out of the RnP because she tries to sleep on her side in it and I'm afraid she's going to fall out. She squirms all over the PnP and wants to nurse 3 times a night. That's fine except I have to get up for work at 4:30.

Most nights she sleeps with us with my boob in her mouth as a pacifier. We had an awesome 8 hour stretch on Saturday night and she even fell asleep on her own. I was hoping that was going to be our turnaround point. Yeah right.

• Options
    imageMichieU79:

The No Cry Sleep Solution has a wonderful method of curtailing pacifier use.  It worked well for us.  We still give him the pacifier sometimes, but he no longer must have it to go to bed.

Hope sleep finds you and your DD soon! 

thanks!  I will try anything

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ugh... sorry.  I don't really have anything to offer.  I do know that some babies get more on track with sleep after they get through the 6mo growth spurt though so... maybe you're close to a breakthrough?  

I have heard a lot of people talk about similar struggles to you with the pacifier though.  How it's a good and bad thing (helps them get to sleep, but creates problems).  Neither of my kids have taken a pacifier so I really can't comment on what to do about that though :/  

GL! 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

You didn't mention it in your OP, are you room-sharing with her?  DD started sleeping so much better when I transitioned her to her crib.  I think we were both keeping each other awake.  I had blamed her crappy sleep on the 4 month wakeful up to that point (but it had been at least 4 weeks of lousy sleep).

When we were traveling last week I had her in the co-sleeper again and we had another terrible night, so I'm pretty much convinced we both sleep better apart.

• Options
    Ours finally started fading at 5.5 months, and then we moved into the 6 month growth spurt and sleep is horrible again.  Just picked up the No Cry book and started reading.  I remember it helping a lot with my son.
  • Options
    imageSchrodinger:

You didn't mention it in your OP, are you room-sharing with her?  DD started sleeping so much better when I transitioned her to her crib.  I think we were both keeping each other awake.  I had blamed her crappy sleep on the 4 month wakeful up to that point (but it had been at least 4 weeks of lousy sleep).

When we were traveling last week I had her in the co-sleeper again and we had another terrible night, so I'm pretty much convinced we both sleep better apart.

Ooh, this is a good point.  DS did the same thing around 7 months.  He slept much better once we moved him to the crib in his own room.  It's like he needed his own space.   

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"