May 2013 Moms

Time for cereal?

My son is a month and two weeks. It seems like he isn't ever full. I feed him 4oz. About every 23 hrs sometimes in between that I'll make him 3 oz bottle and he'll drink 1 2 oz.
Do you think it's too soon to start putting cereal in his bottle or feeding him by spoon?
If yes, what kind do you recommend?

Re: Time for cereal?

• No solids until 6 months. Period. Unless your pedi tells you different. Their digestive systems aren't developed enough for any solids.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definitely not.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebeckyschell:
    No solids until 6 months. Period. Unless your pedi tells you different. Their digestive systems aren't developed enough for any solids.

This
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagebeckyschell:
    No solids until 6 months. Period. Unless your pedi tells you different. Their digestive systems aren't developed enough for any solids.

Agreed! If you think he's not eating enough, feed him more often.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LN1024LN1024 member
    Go with what your pedi says. M has had issues with reflux and ours mentioned starting it earlier to help with that. I was a little confused at first, but to be honest, every pedi is very different in their recommendations regarding this. 
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    I thought LO was never satisfied recently. I took him to the pedi, and they thought his need to suck to pacify was just very strong, and requested I not add in the extra bottles unless it was absolutely necessary. So while we feed on demand, we have to work a little harder to be sure he's actually demanding food.

I would consider that before I made the step to cereal. But regardless, your pedi should guide you.

Good luck!
  • imageShantxtell:
    I want Lucky Charms

shhit I'm hungry
    He melts me...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Calvin Francis
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageShantxtell:
    I want Lucky Charms

I love lucky charms! I actually bought a box yesterday for myself. Bad mama.

My little bug, Madeline. Born June 2, 2013.

• I'd check with your pediatrician before starting cereal. We got the okay for cereal at the 4 month appointment with DS, but that was four years ago and recommendations for starting solids may have changed.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The AAP recommends nothing but formula or breast milk for the first six months. I was told to never put food in a bottle.
  • imagekmcd23:
    I thought LO was never satisfied recently. I took him to the pedi, and they thought his need to suck to pacify was just very strong, and requested I not add in the extra bottles unless it was absolutely necessary. So while we feed on demand, we have to work a little harder to be sure he's actually demanding food.

I would consider that before I made the step to cereal. But regardless, your pedi should guide you.

Good luck!

This is a good point. I thought my little guy was always hungry. But I think it was more the urge to suck as well. We've introduced the pacifier and he seems happier.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • do not start solids until 6 months
  • pnutgpnutg member
    My pedi said 4 months
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMommyLizzy:
    I agree with PP suggestion of it might just be him wanting to suck.  Its way to early for cereal. 4 months is really the earliest that should be considered IMO. I plan on waiting for 6 months, and I'm probably skipping rice cereal, it's pointless.

I loved rice cereal for DD#1 because it has a ton of nutrients in it, at a time where their nutrients are being reduced because you are introducing small amounts of solids, but enough solids that their breastmilk or formula intake is reduced a bit. By giving her 1 serving a day of rice cereal mixed with formula, she was getting a lot of vitamins and minerals and it made me feel better.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageMommyLizzy:
    I agree with PP suggestion of it might just be him wanting to suck.nbsp; Its way to early for cereal. 4 months is really the earliest that should be considered IMO. I plan on waiting for 6 months, and I'm probably skipping rice cereal, it's pointless.

This. We skipped cereal with our DD. there is no need for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"