February 2013 Moms
Options

Moms of toddlers..... Potty training ?

Would you/did you use a reward system every time your child used the potty?

A few days ago dd used the potty all day, she asked.  Now she wants nothing to do with it, and I don't know what to do. 

Re: Moms of toddlers..... Potty training ?

• Options
    So after I posted, she asked to use the potty. But later she acted like she needed to pee, and didn't want t to use the potty so I tried to bribe her with a cookie. She never went, a few minutes later she peed in the high chair.

So at least I can tell when she needs to go, but she is still so hesitant it makes me wonder if she is ready.
  • Options
    We're hoping to take the plunge next weekend. I've said that at least 4 times, though, and then have put it off for one reason or another. I haven't planned on using bribes just because the book I read discourages them, but I admit that I may use them anyway. I'll have to think of something small that would work.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We rewarded our DD with 4 mini M&Ms each time.  Seriously - she was psyched about 4 tiny M&Ms.  After a while, she stopped asking for them.  It was that, and the excitement of her Minnie Mouse big girl underwear Big Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I used a reward chart, each time DS went he got to put a sticker on the chart. Every time he got 5 stickers he got a treat, usually a few m&m's or something of the sort. He got the going number 1 part very quickly. Number 2 was a different issue, I ended up giving him a treat when he would even sit down to try (he was very resistant for some reason), and when he actually went he got a new matchbox car. I bought a 5 pack of cars for $4 and after those were gone he had the hang of it and we were all done with rewards.  

I will say this, I initially tried PT when he was about 2.5 and it just wasn't clicking, so I gave it up and revisited a few months later. It was like working with a different child and he was going number 1 with no accidents in just a few days!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We are using two strategies right now with DS1.  I don't know if these fly in the face of what 's really recommended but it's working for us.

1. He has a special toy that he is only allowed to play with while on the potty. 

2. If he pees on the potty, he gets two mini m&ms.  If he poops, he gets 5 mini m&ms.  i may have created an m&m monster.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Options
    VespahVespah member
    We didn't use any rewards, just high fives and fist bumps. Did the three day method with great success, she was so ready and still in the eager to please us phase so we got lucky.

Good luck!
    Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"