VBAC
Options

Would you consider a VBAC if...

hi! I had a CS with my first baby, 15 mos ago. he was 9 1/2 pounds. My mother has had 5 children, and they were all particularly big babies, her smallest being 8 lb 8 oz. Her 5th child was 11 lb 5 oz! she delivered vaginally but she wishes she hadn't. 

I don't know if im interested in pursuing a VBAC, but given the fact that my first baby was 9.5 lb and theres a possibility my next one will be that size or bigger given my family hx, would you consider a VBAC?

I feel like i would be at high risk for an Emergency-C if the baby was large, or at risk of uterine rupture, or some of the other complications as well.

Im trying to decide if this is worth looking into, or if it just isn't likely a good choice for me. Thanks in advance!! 

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Would you consider a VBAC if...

• Options

Based on what you've shared, I definitely would still consider it!  While I know there are definitely exceptions, I generally follow the advice that your body was meant to birth your baby, no matter the size.

Why was your first baby a c-section?  Because he was measuring big and/or for other reasons?   I guess I'm wondering what makes your feel like you would be high risk, and depending on that answer I might respond differently.  Good luck to you!

PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Options
    I would still consider. 9.5 lbs doesn't sound huge to me. My cousin and a couple friends all delivered naturally and their kids we around 10 lbs or up. But that is my preference. I am SAHM and don't have family in town, so I would prefer a quicker recovery since I have a 2 yo at home.

I don't think you should feel guilty at all if you want a RCS. That would be a decision best made between you and your healthcare provider. I am lucky to have a very proVBAC OB, but if it's something you are interested in, it might be good to have a midwife.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    skioskio member
    Yup, I sure would. Size doesn't always mean higher risk or harder to deliver.

First baby was just shy of 9lbs and ended in CS for failure to progress. This time, I found out at 20w that baby was somewhat big, and chose to decline further growth scans from there on so as to not psyche myself out over size. She came in at exactly 9lbs and I'm glad I didn't know. I avoided intervention, went into labor on my own, labored at home for a long time [showed up at hospital at 9cm], and pushed her out a couple hours later.

You have to do what you and your partner are most comfortable with, though. There's no shame in choosing RCS if baby is big and it concerns you. Just make sure to do your own research so that your doctors don't spook you into feeling a certain way unnecessarily. Lots of doctors like to use the "Ohhh my stars, your baby is big, you're going to have to induce/have a c section" card and it's not always in your best interest. Find a doctor you trust and again, research so you can advocate for yourself. GL!
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would have considered it regardless.  My first was 10 lb, 2 oz (also a family history of huge babies).  My second was 8.5 lbs.  I don't consider anything under 10 big just because of how big babies are in my family:-)  But I know people who have delivered babies larger than mine and did not have any issues.  I hated surgery and my body did not agree with it.  So I was signed on for a VBAC immediately.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options

Yep, I would consider it, and did have a VBAC 2 years ago. My baby was a little smaller than my first (9lb 2oz first, 8lb 4oz second). I'd welcome a 9lb baby this time, and am not worried.  There is way too much fear surrounding a larger baby.  And as others said, 9lb is a nice size, but 10+ is what I consider large, and I'd still do it. Many women do it.  Uterine rupture has nothing to do with the size of the baby. I'd encourage you to do some reading and research on VBACs.

• Options

Thank you all for the very supportive, very informative answers! I hadn't even really considered it until, when i called my OB-to-be ofc they discussed whether i would be with a MW or an OB. They said ...'and if you were wanting a VBAC we'd probably put you over to an OB after your first visit...' and i thought, 'oh no! i dont know if i want that or not.. or maybe i do... ' and thats when i posed this question :) 

to a PP who asked- my DS would not drop, i was dilated to 4cm, having some contractions, and then was sent for an US in which they guessed him to be 10 lb 3 oz, so the combined issues there are what made me agree to a CS. i was scared! I don't know that I'd be 'high risk' per se, but I would just be really disappointed if i mentally got myself ready for this, and due to some of the same issues i had last time, was not able to have a VBAC. so i was just wondering what some of you awesome ladies on this board thought.

i do have a lot of research and talking with my OB left to do. thanks again for all your input!! 

Maybe i'll be joining this board after my first appt (end of July), we shall see.. 

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageskio:
    Yup, I sure would. Size doesn't always mean higher risk or harder to deliver. First baby was just shy of 9lbs and ended in CS for failure to progress. This time, I found out at 20w that baby was somewhat big, and chose to decline further growth scans from there on so as to not psyche myself out over size. She came in at exactly 9lbs and I'm glad I didn't know. I avoided intervention, went into labor on my own, labored at home for a long time [showed up at hospital at 9cm], and pushed her out a couple hours later. You have to do what you and your partner are most comfortable with, though. There's no shame in choosing RCS if baby is big and it concerns you. Just make sure to do your own research so that your doctors don't spook you into feeling a certain way unnecessarily. Lots of doctors like to use the "Ohhh my stars, your baby is big, you're going to have to induce/have a c section" card and it's not always in your best interest. Find a doctor you trust and again, research so you can advocate for yourself. GL!

So glad you got the birth you wanted!! 

photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    If it were me, I would aim for a VBAC and follow the GD diet right from the beginning. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Hi, I think it's totally fine to consider all your options, VBAC being one of them for sure. It  sounds like big baby isn't that much of a risk, but what I would advise in general to all the VBAC posts is to make your plan and know what you want and strive for that, but to be able to roll with it when you get in there. Birth in not totally within your control.

Don't be "disappointed" if you end up with a CS. I hear so many ladies use that word and talk about their delivery as a failed attempt at something. CS is just another method of delivery. And thank God for it in many cases. It might not be you perfect vision of how your baby was born, but so long as you and baby are healthy, it doesn't matter in the long run.

You're not less of a woman or mother if you end up with a CS. So take that guilt out of the equation and go from there. I'm not saying try for a CS--it's always easier to not have to recover from surgery....I'm just saying, we women feel so much pressure from ourselves and each other and the docs and the media and everyone who thinks they know something about your pregnancy and delivery.

Know what you want and hope for, work to get it, but be flexible and at peace with whatever happens in the end.

best of luck to you, no matter what you decide. :-)

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"