Breastfeeding
Options

BF'ing laying down

With DS I always got up out of bed in the middle of the night to nurse sitting in a rocking chair. Because of that I got next to no sleep. This time around I'm going to need to sleep more than I did last time so I will likely be cosleeping at least most of the night so I can nurse laying down. With DS, I didn't even attempt nursing laying down until he was much older. My question is, is a newborn able to be nursed laying down, or do you have to wait until a certain point when they are old enough?
image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: BF'ing laying down

• Options
    At night I HAVE to feed my newborn lying down. But with me lying down and him on top of me. My letdown is so intense he chokes and we both get covered in milk if I don't at least lean back...

Not sure if that's the lying down you mean though
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • Options
    I have only had  Csections. Side lying feedings we very painful for me but I did a few right from the start at the hospital. When my babies were first born I needed to help them latch and usually hold my boob for them. I would say by about 4 weeks there was nothing to it, so easy.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've been nursing laying down since probably 1 month - he's 5 months now and that's the only way I nurse him, I love it since I get a little more sleep this way.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    its perfectly fine as long as you're comfortable.
  • Options

I've done this with DD since she was a few weeks old. My only issues is that she gets lazy and leaks milk out, so I keep a towel under us so that I don't soak the mattress.

• Options

I started side-lying breastfeeding when DS was 4 days old.

The important thing is to make a baby-safe space if you're planning on bed sharing. It was a life saver for me last time.

• Options
    I did it from the very beginning with both of mine.
  • Options
    I can't remember how early we started but it wasn't until I figured out to use the top breast to nurse from that it really worked side lying (using the top one works if they are big but I don't think it's an option if they're smaller)

image   image

• Options
    It took me a while to master it, probably until she was about 6 weeks old. Now we only nurse lying down at night and before bed, she does leave a puddle as she is falling asleep.
    my read shelf:
    Erika's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Oct Angel Babies Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"