February 2013 Moms
Options

Meltdowns before naps and bedtime

DD for the past three weeks has been having 1 to 2 hour long meltdowns before each nap and before bedtime.  Oddly she's fine during the middle of the night wake ups.  I usually put her down for naps when she first starts showing sleepy signs like eye and ear rubbing and yawning, which usually start an hour and a half after she wakes up.  I've tried putting her down sooner in case the sleep cues were a sign of overtired.  I've tried putting her down later in case I was misinterpreting the cues. Either way she has epic meltdowns.  DH says I'm being too rigid and should just let her play until she effectively passes out from exhaustion, which is basically what s happening anyway.

She literally wails and screams for an hour or so and is inconsolable.  I try swinging, swaying, singing, playing with her to distract her, everything! Plus I can't really have set bedtime and nap routines anymore.

She's 18 weeks, could this be a four month sleep regression thing? Has anyone else had this problem and did you find a way to resolve it.  I'm losing my mind here!

Re: Meltdowns before naps and bedtime

• Options
    Been there, done that! Ours lasted about 8 weeks. At first I thought it was a growth spurt, but it just went on and on. After awhile, I'd just give DS an ounce or two b/c I couldn't take the screaming anymore. This usually helped but not always. Even now, I still have a few 'emergency toppers' made up in the fridge for meltdowns but I think we're outgrowing them. We contemplated sleep training but bed time is not a problem, it was just naps. It was the most stressful 8 weeks ever so I know how ya feel. I think you just have to ride it out, hang in there! I feel your pain!
  • Options

Both my DDs went through that around 4 months (adjusted for DD1). Well, DD2 is still in that phase. It is rough. Really rough. But it will end, I promise. Keep telling yourself - she will not scream herself to sleep when she is 13. Wink No really, though, that's what I tell myself whenever I think I'm going to go crazy.

With DD1 we did Ferber because she would scream for 2 hours when we tried to put her down at night, even though we were holding her, rocking her, walking with her, etc. She started to do that during at least one night waking, too, and it was too much. DH and I were fighting all the time because of exhaustion and stress, so we tried Ferber and it was magic. I'm not saying it will work for you, and DD1 was almost 6 months old when we did it, but it's worth reading the book at least. With DD2 we haven't done sleep training yet. I'm still trying to decide what method I want to use, and so far it isn't unbearable with her.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have any advice, but we are experiencing the same.  I really hope it's just a passing phase and we don't have to sleep train :/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"