April 2013 Moms
Options

Combo BF and FF

I just went back to work last Monday. My daughter was three months yesterday. I am pumping three times a day but only producing 8-9 ounces. She takes 3-4 4 ounce bottles of BM at daycare (depending on how long she's there). My freezer supply is mostly gone so I've started sending formula to daycare (which I'm OK with). Just curious if anyone else is doing this. If she takes 2 4 ounce bottles of BM, how much formula should she get? I'm hoping as I get used to pumping at work, I will be able to pump enough but in the meantime, I will have to do formula.
Married 6/4/11
Reese born 3/23/13
Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Combo BF and FF

• Options
    evertzevertz member
    I assume she'd take the same amount of formula as bm... but I'm really not sure. Good luck! I'm worried about pumping enough for my LO when I get back to work as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageevertz:
    I assume she'd take the same amount of formula as bm... but I'm really not sure. Good luck! I'm worried about pumping enough for my LO when I get back to work as well.

I would think so too but I think formula is digested differently than BM. I just realized this is a good question to ask her pedi at her three month appointment today.

Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Kate_CKate_C member
    They can also mix he BM and formula if she's not loving the taste of formula. We did that with my son at ten months last time when I was pregnant and not pumping a lot. Have you tried altering your pump part sizing to see if that helps you respond better? I've also heard that looking at pictures of your baby while pumping can stimulate a better response too.
  • Options

I'm doing a combo at this point, but the goal is for him to be 100% ff by the time I go back to work (July 15).  But for right now he gets bmilk for MOTN feeds, and formula during the waking hours.  I am pumping once a day as my supply continues to diminish -- and using frozen bmilk when i need to.

I had the realization a few weeks ago that there is no way I'll be able to keep up with a pumpipng schedule at work so we started transitioning him.  As an added bonus, he is sleeping MUCH better now (not necessarily because it is formula but because he's getting full feeds from a bottle so he goes to bed full!)

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageJSS1002:

I'm doing a combo at this point, but the goal is for him to be 100% ff by the time I go back to work (July 15).  But for right now he gets bmilk for MOTN feeds, and formula during the waking hours.  I am pumping once a day as my supply continues to diminish -- and using frozen bmilk when i need to.

I had the realization a few weeks ago that there is no way I'll be able to keep up with a pumpipng schedule at work so we started transitioning him.  As an added bonus, he is sleeping MUCH better now (not necessarily because it is formula but because he's getting full feeds from a bottle so he goes to bed full!)

Oh, and he eats an equal serving size whether it is bmilk or formula, but he can go longer between feeds if it is formula.  He never had trouble taking formula.  He actually doens't really seem to know the difference.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    sms04jsms04j member
    This is my plan when I go back to work in a few weeks. We started giving him formula to see which kind he could tolerate. I've only given him a few bottles here and there of formula. He seems to like it as much as BM. I give him the same amount of BM or formula in a bottle.

• Options
    We are mixing in each bottle 2 oz of formula and 2 oz of bm and that seems to be going well. From what I've heard you can do the same amount they will just be full longer. LO used to feed every three hours and now will go up to four sometimes in between feedings.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I mix in two oz of breast milk in each bottle.. my dr said it helps with her tummy..

• Options
    I EBF up until I went back to work, THEN started pumping. when I am  home with LO, I nurse him, and when I am at work, he gets the breast milk I pumped at work the day before, and if it's not enough, he gets formula. Seems to be working out so far.
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"