February 2013 Moms
Options

Lengthening naps

Has anyone had luck getting their LOs to take longer naps? DS used to take awesome 12 hour naps before the four month wakeful, but for the past two weeks we're lucky to get 45 minutes out of him. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to get him to stay down longer or to fall back asleep when he wakes up 30 minutes in?

Re: Lengthening naps

• Options
    The only way I can get DS down for longer than 30 minutes is to put him in his swing. However, I've noticed that when DS takes longer naps during the day, he wakes up more at night. When he takes four 30 minutes naps he will usually go 6 hours his first stretch of sleep then 4 or 5 the next and that will carry him through the night, usually. On the days he gets a longer nap in, he wakes up at 12 a.m. and 4 a.m almost on the dot, not matter what time he went to bed. So I've come to accept he is just a cat napper, that works for him for now, and I've learned how to maximize thirty minutes like it's my job! Good luck!
  • Options
    Its the 45 min nap curse. Our natural sleep cycles are 45 minutes, but as adults we can put ourselves back to sleep without realizing it. Babies cant at first. If mine wakes after 45 min, I go in there and put her right back down. I dont even turn on the lights. With my first 2 kids it took a bit for them to figure it out, but eventually they started taking 1.5-2 hour naps again by the time they were 6 months old
    Me 33, DH 33, Charlotte 5, Ethan 3
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have, but I cheat.  DD sleeps in the RnP.  I get up to 3 1/2 hour stretches out of her. She'll usually wake up hungry in an hour or so in and I just give her the bottle in the RnP and rock her to sleep during it.  This week she took a 3 hour and  a two hour nap every day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"