Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

What would you do?

So I took my three month old to the dr today for a couple little questions. 

One of them was about his head. He has a couple flat spots on both sides that I obviously don't want to get worse. We are keeping him more upright throughtout his waking hours and I bought a noggin nest from boppy for when he goes on his play mat and stuff. 

The doctor said I should roll blankets and prop him on his sides during the night in the crib and keep changing the side but this makes me nervous because I don't want anything in his crib. He's not rolling yet so I don't want him getting trapped. 

She said were not close to helmet territory or anything so I don't know if I want to go the blanket/crib route. What would you do? 

Re: What would you do?

• Options
    If you aren't comfortable with it don't do it.  I would be fine with something like that for naps only because I could keep an eye on him, but not for night-time sleep.
  • Options
    imagesschwege:
    If you aren't comfortable with it don't do it. nbsp;I would be fine with something like that for naps only because I could keep an eye on him, but not for nighttime sleep.

This. I would only do it during naps when you are watching
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I read some reviews on the Noggin Nest that said that the hole seemed a bit small. Do you think it would work for a bigger baby? My DS2 is on the larger side but is starting to develop a flat spot in the back. I just don't want to buy something he won't be able to use for very long.

image image
  • Options
    I agree, its not worth it. 
  • Options
    mnj05mnj05 member

I've got the noggin nest and have been using it since 2 months and it's helped. We don't do anything different at night and now that he's trying to roll, I don't use it during play mat time anymore. In my opinion, if you aren't close to the helmet and are keeping LO off his back some during the day, he'll be fine. Once he starts sitting up, the flat spot will resolve. Just think, when we were babies with flat spots there wasn't anything that could be done and we turned out just fine!

Oh and we use the noggin nest in the car seat instead of the head piece that came with the car seat. Basically DS is using that thing every time he's on his back (except for those few minutes on the floor).

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    I haven't noticed flat spots, but DS has a big bald spot, so obviously he's putting pressure on the same spot. I carry him in the bjorn while running errands to get him out of the carseat. Nap him on his side or belly when I can watch him. I wouldn't feel comfortable propping him up at night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks everyone. 

DS is a swing napper right now so I can't test him out with it there but I want to work on transitioning him to the crib or PNP for naps so maybe I will then. I agree that I just dont think its worth the risk of putting anything in the crib with him! 

• Options

My DD1 had plagiocephaly (flat spot) on her right side. The best thing for you to do right now, like you said, is getting him away from the swing. In hindsight, I remember DD1 spending more time in the swing and my little lamb chair than she probably should have. Keep your DS away from these as much as possible and like pp stated doing the towel roll thing during naps when you can be awake to supervise him. Good luck and be as vigilant as possible to avoid the flatness from getting worse.

PS i would never do a towel roll either at night because i am paranoid about crib safety with loose items in the crib.

• Options
    imagejo4janet:
    My DD1 had plagiocephaly flat spot on her right side. The best thing for you to do right now, like you said, is getting him away from the swing. In hindsight, I remember DD1 spending more time in the swing and my little lamb chair than she probably should have. Keep your DS away from these as much as possible and like pp stated doing the towel roll thing during naps when you can be awake to supervise him. Good luck and be as vigilant as possible to avoid the flatness from getting worse. PS i would never do a towel roll either at night because i am paranoid about crib safety with loose items in the crib.

Can I ask what the difference is between swing napping and crib napping? Wouldn't there be pressure on his head either way?

I don't leave him in the swing or bouncy during the day awake, only for naps so shouldn't that help? Sorry! You just got me paranoid now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"