Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

How long does your LO take to eat?

I'm jumping over here a little early.  DS is only 11 months but he refuses to let us feed him.  He eats all table food with his hands.  I love that he is so independent, but the problem is - it seems like he takes forever to eat!  An average meal takes about 45 minutes.  I like to eat dinner as a family, but I feel like meal time is cutting into our play time and/or bedtime.  DS goes to daycare so we don't get home till 6:00 p.m.  By the time he is done eating, it's time for bed.

Re: How long does your LO take to eat?

• Options

Same here!  My daughter has been doing that ever since she could start feeding herself.  She rarely lets us feed her anything with a spoon, so she picks away forever with her hands.  Meals take at least half an hour (on a good day) or longer. She just isn't in a rush!  

And same as the pp, if I notice she's just playing or becoming disinterested, I take the food away and get on with our day. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD is the same way. She must feed herself, and it can take 35-45minutes and sometimes even longer.  What I do is get her meal together first (she eats table food, but generally leftovers from our dinner the night before so it can be ready fast) and start to feed her while I am cooking that nights dinner.

Then she finishes her meal while we eat ours. If she is a little faster than normal I will give her "dessert" of fresh fruit to eat at the table with us while DH and I eat our meals.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Our little guy used to take even longer than that! 45 mins used to be a fast meal! lol It has just been in the last couple of weeks that he has gotten faster. He is almost 13 months. I also loved how independent he was, but there were many days that I had appnts to be at and we were late. Don't worry, he will get faster with time. :) 

• Options
    An hour here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"