Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Daily naps

My son is not napping regularly during the day. I have tried everything possible, white noise machine, swing, rocking my baby, using a bouncer, putting my baby in his crib or bassinet, using music or other soothing sounds, laying down with him, taking him for a car ride, and I have even left one of my T-shirts by his side ( I have tried many things too many to mention). Nothing seems to work. When and if he falls asleep he only sleeps for 10-20 minutes at the most. He seldom cries, and generally only fusses at night when he has not had a nap during the day. He eats well and bowl movements are normal. I go through my checklist every time, eat, diaper, does he need to be burped. Help! I am at a loss.

Some other helpful information my son had GBS Meningitis at 4 weeks and was hospitalized for 3 weeks he has bounced back like nothing has happened. However he is on to low doses of medications for seizures as he had several while in the hospital. He has not had any since the infection has cleared up but these medications are supposed to make him sleepy. After he takes them I can visibly see he is tired but he wakes at the slightest movements.

Hes really a great baby so mellow and easy going I am just concerned about the amount of sleep he is getting during the day.  

Re: Daily naps

• Options
    I didn't see swaddling mentioned-have you tried that? Also, unfortunately, sometimes LO's just need to nap in our arms.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DD has a really weird sleep schedule.  About every other week she sleeps 2-3 hours and plays for 1-1.5 hours in between.  Then almost over night she'll flip and only sleep 20-30 mins at a time and then usually only if she's in her swing or being held.  At night she sleeps well usually waking up at 1230, 330, 500 and 700.  We've tried putting her on a better sleep schedule with no luck.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When he was born we tried to swaddle him a few times but he didnt seem to like it he usually sleeps with his hand by his face but Ill try it again and see if it helps at all. Thanks!
  • Options

imageRoxyluv8:
    When he was born we tried to swaddle him a few times but he didnt seem to like it he usually sleeps with his hand by his face but Ill try it again and see if it helps at all. Thanks!

Or try swaddling with one arm out, and see if that helps. DS would startle himself awake every freaking time we'd put him down if he wasn't swaddled.

Good luck!

• Options
    imagemben1119:
    I didn't see swaddling mentionedhave you tried that? Also, unfortunately, sometimes LO's just need to nap in our arms.

Totally this! I'm mobile bumping with my 8 week old DD asleep on my chest right now after bouncing her around singing Over The Rainbow for 10 mins lol.

Your LO is cat napping. We have days like that too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSmartie26:
    imagemben1119:
    I didn't see swaddling mentionedhave you tried that? Also, unfortunately, sometimes LO's just need to nap in our arms.

Totally this! I'm mobile bumping with my 8 week old DD asleep on my chest right now after bouncing her around singing Over The Rainbow for 10 mins lol.

Your LO is cat napping. We have days like that too.

Swaddle and keep trying. Some babies cat nap during periods. It's normal. Frustrating, but normal.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    We couldn't swaddle very well when she was little either...liked her hands by her face.  We actually stopped altogether for awehile..Now she needs to swaddled to sleep again...she startles herself awake with her arms if not.  But now she likes being swaddled with her arms down...she smiles and giggles when i do it.

• Options
    If he's sleeping during the night the whole way through don't sweat it. Mine is awake all day with only little naps. When I say mine sleeps through the night I mean literally...like 8+ hours. When she is awake it's not like she's crying all the time. She gets her diaper change, is fed, and then is looking around quietly for a while until she needs to be fed again.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"