February 2013 Moms
Options

Change = bad longish

DS is generally a decent sleeper. We still don't have a schedule but I have pretty strict routines for both naps and bedtime which I think really helps. The problem is, anytime there is ANY variation from these little routines he naps horribly. Of course horrible napping usually ends with a horrible night.

For example, today we spent much of the day at DHs parents. I tried to replicate the same routine however he obviously wasn't in his room, in his crib a therefore fought his nap and then only napped for 45 min.

He also screamed most of the time we were there because he hates everyone right now except me, DH and the nanny. He would scream I someone even looked at him. Horrible.

When we got home he was in an ok mood but refused to nap. He stayed up until his regular bedtime and actually went down without a fight. However, he's been up every hour since then. He's currently been awake go the last 30 minutes fussing on and off in his crib. Who knows how long this will go on.

Anyway, I've noticed this pattern. Anytime our days aren't structured exactly like he's used to we have really rough nights. Sometimes it actually takes a day or two to fully recover. Is this just par for the course with a young baby? I can't imagine what it would be like to travel. Tell me this is just a phase.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Our Sweet Boy "LJ"

Re: Change = bad longish

• Options

It totally depends on the baby, unfortunately. I've heard this rumor that there are so-called "easy babies" who sleep great and nap anywhere. I believe this to be a myth started by some evil MIL who wanted to make her DIL feel like a bad mom.

DD1 usually just skips naps when we're somewhere else, which makes for a lovely afternoon/evening. DD2 doesn't show much change between home and elsewhere yet, but that's not saying much because her sleep is crap anyway. Her naps are 5-30 min long and at night she wakes up every hour. I have an intense, passionate loathing of the 4 month wakeful.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    It's not a myth, my sister in law has a February baby like that. She's 4 days older than dd, but totally different. Yesterday while dd was melting down because if all the family members talking and dogs barking and strangers trying to hold her, her cousin was asleep while people just passed her around!
    It's just not fair sometimes, but I'm guessing your little babe will make up for it in some other phase or milestone.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My baby does the same thing... I almost hate to go anywhere after 6!  We came home from dh's parents house at 7 and my lo had a meltdown for almost an hour.  He can never nap there with all the people especially my two year old niece.  My nephew that was born two weeks after him can sleep through ANYTHING!
  • Options
    Well crap. At least I'm not alone! I can't help but feel like I did something to make him this way. Probably becuase my MIL likes to tell me I've spoiled him. I guess when you hear something enough you start I beleive it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • Options
    imagekelly321:

It totally depends on the baby, unfortunately. I've heard this rumor that there are so-called "easy babies" who sleep great and nap anywhere. I believe this to be a myth started by some evil MIL who wanted to make her DIL feel like a bad mom.

DD1 usually just skips naps when we're somewhere else, which makes for a lovely afternoon/evening. DD2 doesn't show much change between home and elsewhere yet, but that's not saying much because her sleep is crap anyway. Her naps are 5-30 min long and at night she wakes up every hour. I have an intense, passionate loathing of the 4 month wakeful.

My niece, who is four weeks younger than my son, is that baby. I swear, nothing bothers that child. Nothing. She's STTN, naps anywhere, lets anyone hold her, barely cries. I asked my brother if they were sedating her. It must be baby karma, because their first daughter was the total opposite, and extremely difficult/colicky. So I guess they had an easy one coming. Wink

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"