February 2013 Moms
Options

Anyone temping to avoid?

Today is CD 1. I'd like to temp to avoid in addition to our other BC methods, but I was always confused by tracking night wakings and unpredictable wake up times with FF before I got pregnant.

DD does mostly STTN, but has been waking up at unpredictable hours the last few days. Do any temping experts have any advice? I think I loaned out my copy of TCOYF, but can't remember if it has a section on this.
Lilypie - (KNqh)

Re: Anyone temping to avoid?

• Options
    I think as long as you have been asleep for 67 hours your temp will be accurate. So I would say go DD wakes in the MOTN but it's been 6 hours since you went to sleep I would check your temp then, before getting LO.

Married to DH 10.29.11

DD born 1.26.13
    DS born 6.12.14
    #3 due 12.6.16

• Options

imagemattanda2011:
    I think as long as you have been asleep for 67 hours your temp will be accurate. So I would say go DD wakes in the MOTN but it's been 6 hours since you went to sleep I would check your temp then, before getting LO.

this. Although I thought I'd read it only had to be like 4 hours.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    plus i'd like to temp to avoid, but LO has such an unpredictable sleeping through the night pattern...like never does it and sometimes wakes multiple times. I think my temps would be all over the place.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagesararn2004:
    plus i'd like to temp to avoid, but LO has such an unpredictable sleeping through the night pattern...like never does it and sometimes wakes multiple times. I think my temps would be all over the place.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking too.

As Secondary said, I may just watch other fertility signs for now since we're using protection. I know there are nights I'm definitely not getting four consecutive hours. She was sleeping through the night until a few days ago, so I'm hoping she'll go back to that soon and maybe temping will work. I know, wishful thinking, but it might happen.

Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Options

You don't know what your temps will be like until you try. When I started temping to TTC, DD1 was still waking up 1-4x / night. As long as I temped at the same time every morning, things were fine. I could see a very clear temp shift post-O. If I varied the time that I temped (no matter how much sleep I had gotten right before), then my temps were all over the place. So for me, consistent timing is way more important than how many hours of consecutive sleep I got before temping.

You just have to try one method (consistent timing or consistent amount of sleep beforehand) for a cycle and then see what happens. If you can see an O shift, then stick with it, if you can't, then try the other method the next cycle.

My plan is to temp to avoid in addition to using condoms, but honestly, I think if DD1 slept past 6 and an alarm woke me up instead, I would want to curl up and die.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    imagekelly321:
    You don't know what your temps will be like until you try. When I started temping to TTC, DD1 was still waking up 14x / night. As long as I temped at the same time every morning, things were fine. I could see a very clear temp shift postO. If I varied the time that I temped no matter how much sleep I had gotten right before, then my temps were all over the place. So for me, consistent timing is way more important than how many hours of consecutive sleep I got before temping.You just have to try one method consistent timing or consistent amount of sleep beforehand for a cycle and then see what happens. If you can see an O shift, then stick with it, if you can't, then try the other method the next cycle.My plan is to temp to avoid in addition to using condoms, but honestly, I think if DD1 slept past 6 and an alarm woke me up instead, I would want to curl up and die.

Thanks Kelly! I may try this too. I am definitely going to have a rough time getting back in, but I think it's worth giving it a shot.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Options

Just remember that all of these methods are pretty inaccurate while nursing.  I have the babies to prove it.  lol 

At least for me, my mucous can be EW during random parts of the month while nursing and my temps are all over the place despite normal sleep patterns. 

• Options
    I just wanted to add to kelly's post.  I tempted ttc DS, and dd woke up a lot then, usually within 2 hours of temping time, and I still saw a clear shift.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"