TTC#1 Since April 2011 
BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
BFP #2 10.1.13
EDD June 10, 2014
imageimageimage

Re: (Untitled)

• Options

imagericecakes1216:
    See, I really like the idea of an SUV but the gas mileage is what worries me. We have a large mastiff/boxer dog and it'd be nice to have a place for him especially once we have a kid. But the gas mileage is a biggy.

Yeah, if you have a dog, I would avoid a sedan personally. Ours is only a year old, and we like to take trips to the beach to let our dog run around. Then I remember she has to get back in the car. I am anal about clean cars, and she destroys it. And she always jumps into the front seat. Ideally, if I wasn't concerned about mpg, I would get a Jeep GC.

And I have a general fear of mini vans. So those are definitely out. They just scream "mom", and I really don't like the body style. Plus, DH would divorce me before we bought one haha.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Options

I had a Dodge Durango before and loved my SUV but gas prices here in NY are crazy and I drive an hour to work both ways.  I was paying $80.00 every 4 days for gas.

I ended up getting a Chevy Spark 2013  they are new.  I call it my peanut car.  It is so tiny looks like 20 clowns would come out of it. LOL  I love it, I can fit the dogs golden and jack russell in the back seat.  I get about 35mpg and it costs me about $30.00 every 4 days now.

I would love to get an SUV again but right now no can do.

Good luck on car shopping!!! 

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's not a small SUV or a sedan, but I LOVE my Jeep Grand Cherokee!  I have a 90 lb dog and she has plenty of room, and a car seat fits in the back with my seat pushed way back (my husband and I are both tall).  The gas mileage isn't great, but I don't have to drive far on a daily basis and I feel much safer on the roads.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have a Lexus CT200 hybrid.  The gas milage is amazing, and it's a great car for city driving and errands.  We can fit two small-to-medium sized adults and two kids without a problem, but it might not be the best choice if you're taller or haul more than two kids.

For our next car, I'm planning to check out the new Prius station wagons and the Lexus hybrid SUVs.  I suspect we'll end up with the Prius since the cost savings is significant. 

• Options

I have a Ford Escape and I love it! A lot.

When we found out both embryos took, everyone kept saying we'd need to upgrade and get a van but we refuse. It's tight when we go anywhere for an extended amount of time (stroller strapped on the roof and every inch of space has something stuffed in it) but we make it work.

Taking the Scenic Route
    FET: Success! Beta at 14dp5dt: 2427 TWINS!!
  • Options

i love(d) my car. It got 35mpg, and was very safe. I just got into a car accident with a tractor trailer (tractor trailer's fault, very scary!!!) and my dogs and I were all completely safe, which is why a recommend it. I drive (drove...Sad ) a 2003 Corolla, and plan on getting a newer (like 2007-2011) corolla or camry. It also had amazing trunk space. If you're looking for a little more space, go Camry.

ETA: My dogs were in seatbelts, and the police said if they hadn't been they would have gone flying. Remember to crate or seat belt your dogs!!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

baby development

• Options
    I drive a 2007 Ford Escape and love it.  I like my small SUV because I still get decent gas milage and I have room to haul stuff if needed.  The new escapes have a foot activated tailgate, I really wish I had that.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm glad to hear some of you have Escapes and like them. I found a couple I really like but when I told my sister she said that her friend got one 2 weeks ago and already hates it! So I was scared.

Lots of great suggestions, I'll be researching at work today!
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • Options

I have a 2009 Escape and I love it. It still gets decent gas mileage. I'm not a fan of the look of the newer version, it doesn't look as big to me but I've never been in one. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Acura RDX. I love it. I commute just over 40 miles a day , 5 days a week and fill up once a week. That is including moderate errand running on weekends.

We were between the rdx, a ford escape, and a VW Tiguan. I liked them all for diff reasons but the Rdx was def the best bang for our buck.

ETA. Sil is on her third escape. She just looooves them!

Also in the refuse to get a van camp. Even if we are blessed with 3 or 4 children, I don't find third row seating to be a huge hassle.
  • Options
    We had the same dilemma a few months ago- had hoped to put off buying a new car for another 1-2 years but my car's engine had other plans. We had a Honda Accord and ended up getting a CRV. So far we love it. Not sure how old your current car is but I was really surprised by how much space the new Accord has vs my 2002. Gas mileage was a big consideration for us, which is how we settled on the CRV. We also liked the Subaru (Forrester, I think) a lot but Subarus only come in AWD, which we don't need and weren't willing to take the dip in gas mileage to have it. We travel decently often and our families are 10-14 hours away from us. We've only taken one road trip since buying it but have been very happy with the space/set up for long distance drives.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options
    imagerjeller32:

imagericecakes1216:
    See, I really like the idea of an SUV but the gas mileage is what worries me. We have a large mastiff/boxer dog and it'd be nice to have a place for him especially once we have a kid. But the gas mileage is a biggy.

Yeah, if you have a dog, I would avoid a sedan personally. Ours is only a year old, and we like to take trips to the beach to let our dog run around. Then I remember she has to get back in the car. I am anal about clean cars, and she destroys it. And she always jumps into the front seat. Ideally, if I wasn't concerned about mpg, I would get a Jeep GC.

And I have a general fear of mini vans. So those are definitely out. They just scream "mom", and I really don't like the body style. Plus, DH would divorce me before we bought one haha.

Haha! I actually agree with all of this! I would get the SUV IMO. Maybe the Mazda CX line?

• Options
    We have a 2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ that we bought brand new in late 2009.  I love it.  The only thing I do not like is that there are not any air vents in the back seats.  We did not realize this when we bought it.  Considering we live in FL and it is hot as balls all summer, it stinks.  We just crank the air up higher, but still for it being a "luxury" edition of this model and the money we paid, we think they should be back there.  It gets decent gas mileage for a SUV.  Even with a toddler, the car is in good shape.

• Options

Nissan Altima

we love it and it fits our family great. It's a 2013 so it has the new body style. It's sporty and practical. 

• Options

I drive a VW Touareg - I love it but it's certainly a larger SUV and fuel economy is awful.  But I love big cars/trucks so this works for me.

I used to work with cars so I have driven almost everything under the sun. 

If you live in an area with a lot of snow, definitely go for the SUV because front wheel drive mid-size sedans won't do you any good.  If you prefer a sedan, go for an Audi or a Subaru as both are standard AWD.  Audis are expensive to purchase and maintain but otherwise amazing cars, safe and luxurious.  Subarus are extremely affordable and hold their value well.  Check out the Legacy.

SUVs - the Ford Escape is a great small SUV.  I don't prefer Chevys, fine cars, just don't really love them.  The Mazda CX7 is nice.  And again, Subaru makes great, quality SUVs but they aren't the most visually appealing compared to it's competitors.

• Options
    I have a GMC Terrain and I love it! The gas mileage isn't that bad (about 26 mpg) and I have two dogs so it helps for hauling them around.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"