October 2013 Moms
Options

What A Horrible Mother I Will Be

Today I was "informed" that buying gender specific items for my baby is forcing her gender on her.  It will make her think she is supposed to like them and if she doesn't then she'll feel like something's wrong with her and it will lead to deep psychological issues.  After nicely replying I think we should just raise our own children how we see fit, I was told I probably should not be having kids. *sigh*  I'll have to call my mother and tell her she raised a horrible daughter.  How dare I buy dresses and adorable girl things for my baby!
October Siggy Challenge

Image result for horrible pregnancy halloween costumes

Oct 15 Glitter Bunnies

Re: What A Horrible Mother I Will Be

• Options
    People are crazy! Ignore them. :/
  • Options

Add me to the horrible mother's club!

Seriously though.  It's not like you will force her to play with girly things if she doesn't like them.  That person needs to get a grip.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bah tell them you'll throw in a hot wheels and leave it at that.
  • Options
    Yeah that just seemed completely absurd to me.  
    October Siggy Challenge

Oct 15 Glitter Bunnies

• Options
    AjoydAjoyd member

Who said this to you?

It's a ridiculous notion, especially for an infant.

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • Options
    Wow! So glad I haven't run into any people like that. You handled it well it sounds like.

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageAjoyd:

Who said this to you?

It was some rando's comment on my "gender reveal" picture I posted to Reddit.  Obviously I caught a lot of flack for using the word "gender" but I figured that would happen.  I just was not expecting so many people to jump on board with the "don't buy gender specific stuff" rant...sheesh!  Anyways, no one I know so I laughed it off and replied as nicely as possible.  :)  
    October Siggy Challenge

Oct 15 Glitter Bunnies

• Options

I posted before about a former friend of mine who swore off anything for her child unless it was gender neutral. I had to cut her off - she crossed the line with some of her beliefs and I couldn't sit idly by while she demented her child. You seriously cannot tell when looking at her child if it's a boy or girl - that's odd. You come into this world with a penis or vagina. That determines your sex, not toys or clothes. If later on a child shows a preference for the other gender, you deal with it then. I feel like being so neutral about things WILL confused and damaged the child. It IS your job as the parents to set your child on a path. Kids will play with anything you give them. My dd has a dinosaur obsession and loves legos yet she's the ultimate girly-girl. Some boys like to play house or dress up. Simply encourage your child whether it be a short term whim or a long term passion. That's a good mom.

Dress her up as girly as you want - you only have so long until she can tell you whether she likes it or not. lol

• Options
    imageSweetTeaMom:

I posted before about a former friend of mine who swore off anything for her child unless it was gender neutral. I had to cut her off - she crossed the line with some of her beliefs and I couldn't sit idly by while she demented her child. You seriously cannot tell when looking at her child if it's a boy or girl - that's odd. You come into this world with a penis or vagina. That determines your sex, not toys or clothes. If later on a child shows a preference for the other gender, you deal with it then. I feel like being so neutral about things WILL confused and damaged the child. It IS your job as the parents to set your child on a path. Kids will play with anything you give them. My dd has a dinosaur obsession and loves legos yet she's the ultimate girly-girl. Some boys like to play house or dress up. Simply encourage your child whether it be a short term whim or a long term passion. That's a good mom.

Dress her up as girly as you want - you only have so long until she can tell you whether she likes it or not. lol

Love this!  Thank you :)  That was my thinking too!  I'll only have so long before she starts demanding her own choices haha
    October Siggy Challenge

Oct 15 Glitter Bunnies

• Options
    what??!?!?! Well, you handled it very well. The way I have been feeling, lately, I would have told that person to mind their flucking business before I give them real reason to say some bull crap about me! People are so crazy and invasive!!! UGH!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    bnikizbnikiz member
    My daughters fav thing to wear is a pink tutu, her fav toys are hot wheel cars. Your kids will like what they like. If you deny a girl cars or a boy a baby doll thats different story.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

imagetate62610:
    Today I was "informed" that buying gender specific items for my baby is forcing her gender on her.  It will make her think she is supposed to like them and if she doesn't then she'll feel like something's wrong with her and it will lead to deep psychological issues.  After nicely replying I think we should just raise our own children how we see fit, I was told I probably should not be having kids. *sigh*  I'll have to call my mother and tell her she raised a horrible daughter.  How dare I buy dresses and adorable girl things for my baby!

Sounds like that person deserves a c*nt punch/d*ck slap.

You tell me where they live, I'll handle it for you. I'm just in the right mood today. 

• Options
    I believe I'm echoing previous posters in saying, um, what the fluck ever! to those peeps! My daughter's nursery will be extremely girly even though she will be raised to be confident, strong, athletic, independent and smart all gender-neutral attributes. People need to get a grip, seriously.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imagetate62610:
    imageAjoyd:

Who said this to you?

It was some rando's comment on my "gender reveal" picture I posted to Reddit.  Obviously I caught a lot of flack for using the word "gender" but I figured that would happen.  I just was not expecting so many people to jump on board with the "don't buy gender specific stuff" rant...sheesh!  Anyways, no one I know so I laughed it off and replied as nicely as possible.  :)  

Oh, that explains it. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"