Stay at Home Moms
Options

s/o making spaghetti sauce

The post about making your own pasta made me start thinking about making my own spaghetti sauce.  I typically just buy Ragu, and my DH says there is no reason to mess with a good thing...but I really want to start cooking with more fresh foods. I know several people have said they make their own sauce, and it isn't difficult.  Would you mind sharing your recipe?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: s/o making spaghetti sauce

• Options
    imagenowababy:

Saute onions, garlic. Add a big can of crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, whatever other spices I'm moved to add, a bit of water. Let it simmer for a bit (maybe 20 minutes). A small splash of balsamic vinegar in the end.

If I want it to be a chunky sauce, I'll separately saute veggies (bell pepper, carrots, mushrooms, onions, etc.) and then add them in maybe the last 5 minutes or so. If I want to include meat, I brown some beef in the first step above. 

Ditto the bolded, I also always add some fresh basil leaves and instead of crushed tomatoes I use pureed tomatoes and some fresh cherry ones, halved. Make sure to use olive oil!

This is the base of my sauce, I just add ground meat to make ragu; fresh bacon bits & mushrooms; diced chicken; etc (in the first step)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    bump burp

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"