Breastfeeding
Options

Dropping a pump mess with supply?

You may have read my other posts here about our trouble with BF, mainly supply. We had to supplement with formula for a few weeks and now we only supplement with BM as my supply grew. My last post was about oversupply in the am and hoping to even it out through the day.

Well the last several days LO has only needed to supplement about 3 oz in the evening, we've been able to drop 1/2 our daily bottles. I have also filled the freezer with a weeks supply of BM and I have no intention of returning to work so I think it may end up going to waste.

I was thinking about dropping my first am pump which is usually around 3am. It would shorten the MOtN routine by about 30 mins and get me some extra sleep. LO would still nurse I just wouldn't pump and then I would still nurse AND pump the rest of the day.

My fear is that this pump is my highest volume, usually round 4ozs. I'm afraid not pumping will cause me to loose it and then what If LO starts drinking more in a few weeks and I need it?

FWIW we usually get up again around 6 and I pump about 2ozs after that feeding. The rest of the days pumps are under 1oz.

Re: Dropping a pump mess with supply?

• Options
    You can always add it back in if you need it. I would try. If you feel full you can pump for a few min just until you're comfortable for a few days, then stop the  pump all together. What time does LO go to bed? If it is a few hrs before you do, yu could always pump then to get a little extra. If you don't think you're going to use the frozen stash, I would start trying to regulate your supply to LO. When LO starts needing more milk, they wll nurse more to up your supply.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageemriley84:
    You can always add it back in if you need it. I would try. If you feel full you can pump for a few min just until you're comfortable for a few days, then stop the  pump all together. What time does LO go to bed? If it is a few hrs before you do, yu could always pump then to get a little extra. If you don't think you're going to use the frozen stash, I would start trying to regulate your supply to LO. When LO starts needing more milk, they wll nurse more to up your supply.

Right now bedtime is around 11 for all of us.  She eats around 7pm and then again between 10 and  1030.   After that we go to bed. 

I'm just slightly scared because I had such a supply issue to start with I don't want to mess up what we have worked so hard to get.   BUT I also need to get some more sleep and many days the 3am feeding had me up for 2 hours between LO waking up enough to eat, eating, pumping and then getting back to bed.  I tried this last night and I was back in bed in under 40 min. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"