February 2013 Moms
Options

Deciding to SAH

I posted a while back about considering whether to SAH or keep working.  After reading all your feedback, and considering our options I finally decided to SAH.  There are no part time opportunities in my field and it was a really tough decision.  I did, however, decide to tell the whole story on my blog in the hopes that it is somewhat therapeutic to write about it.  If anyone wants to read how I reached my decision:

https://www.ayankeeandarebel.com/?p=587

But my real question is for the SAH moms.  Any tips?  How do I make this transition easier?  How do I keep my LO stimulated and entertained?  How do I keep myself sane?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
View Full Size Image

Re: Deciding to SAH

• Options
    Congrats on making a decision! I would check out meetup.com or local mom groups to meet mom friends and set up play dates. Things like Baby Boot Camp, Little Gym, or music classes are great, too. I also LOVE my gym and they have a daycare so I take the girls most days of the week. I get "me" time, an uninterrupted shower, and they get a change of pace and some entertainment.
  • Options
    imagejessicalgilmore:

But my real question is for the SAH moms.  Any tips?  How do I make this transition easier?  How do I keep my LO stimulated and entertained?  How do I keep myself sane?

You will just learn your routine over time. I became a SAHM full time 3 weeks before my son was born after working full time for the previous 12 years. It has been a transition, but a good one. Having a flexible schedule to plan activities with other moms and outings to the park, the library, for walks, to go shopping or go to lunch is wonderful and fun. The best part for me is being able to be with him every day and watch him learn and discover new things. I plan to return to work full time next year and my MIL will be watching him so I am enjoying this time with him to the fullest. I'm sure you will feel the same. Congratulations!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Definitely plan on getting out of the house at least a few times a week.  I actually like having one day a week where we don't leave the house (except for our daily walks) just because it gives us both a chance to reset and relax without any time constraints.  I'm a homebody, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

My week usually looks like:

Monday: Necessary errands (maybe two or three)

Tuesday: Mommies Group

Wednesday: Go by high school to check cheer mailbox/visit staff

Thursday: Grocery Store

Friday: Stay-at-home-day

It varies from week to week, and we get out twice a day for walks (30-45 minutes each), but that's the general gist.

As far as activities...we have baby conversations, do our walks, lots of tummy time, some plain ol' lying-on-his-back time (he's a wiggler), dancing around the house to music, watching Mommy make dinner, hanging out on the back patio.  You find things to do.  If you are ever at a loss, go to a store or the library.  Mine loves loves loves looking around while in his carrier when we are out and about. 

• Options

Congrats! I think you're making a good decision. (I just told my work I wasn't coming back.) 

I think a good way to keep sane is to wear baby so you can do the things you used to, (or many of them,) and I'd go for walks.

My brother is a SAHD, and he's always taking those kids out around town. Somehow he stays sane. ;) 

• Options
    I just want to say congrats on making a decision you're happy with and good luck!! You'll love it!!! 

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

• Options
    Congrats! I'm a new SAHM too. DS is 13 weeks and I am so happy with my decision, as hard as it was to make.

Our routine varies, but like PPs I try to get out a couple times a week. I meet a friend and her daughter every week for a walk at the park. We run errands. We walk around the neighborhood. Etc. As far as play times go, we do tummy time, play mat, blanket time on his back, walkin around house, sitting in my lap and talking, and he loves walkin around outside too. You just find things to do.

I've created a weekly cleaning schedule too. While it's annoying cleaning, I kind of like having a small "to do" item each day. Makes me feel accomplished.
    "Sweat is my sanity". Sarah Palin "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised". Proverbs 31:30 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Glad you were able to make a decision you are happy with! :)  I have been at home since a week before my baby was born and honestly, I am not bored at all and feel like I need more hours in the day.  Running the house takes time, but I also volunteer for a women's ministry that I am starting to spend more time on as well.  Errands take a lot longer with a baby and then of course a good part of the day is still spent nursing.  I don't feel like we have a good routine yet but am hoping that will start to settle out in the coming weeks.  

My best recommendation is to find something you are passionate about and volunteer.  That keeps your skills up, brain working and gives you a great outlet....and depending on what it is, maybe is helping others.   I am in Women of Vision through World Vision.  

As for baby, she does tummy time beside me when I work on the computer, I can go back and forth between what I am doing and playing with her, she spends some time in her bounce seat, some hanging out in the RNP while I do chores, we read some too.  I try to balance between cuddle/play time with mommy and independent play time.  If I had to entertain her straight 24/7 I would lose my mind.  She also naps a few times a day if we are home (this is worse if we are out)....and usually one of those is 2-3 hours.

You will get in a groove, but be patient and don't stress if you don't feel structured at first....like I said, I am 15 weeks in and still figuring it out.

Good luck! 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"