March 2013 Moms
Options

Don't waste formula

We were wasting so much formula because the package says to throw out any unused formula after LO starts eating. I asked our Ped about this and she said that we can put it in the fridge after LO stops eating and use it again for the next time. She said we can only do this once. Just wanted to share in case others were wasting a lot of formula as its not cheap. :)

I don't know if it makes a diff, but I serve LO room temp formula (mix with bottled water that is sitting on counter). I then put left over in fridge and warm it up (so I am only warming up the formula once if there is any left over).

Re: Don't waste formula

• Options
    We do the exact same thing. If we didn't, we'd waste a lot over time because LO will eat anywhere from 2 to 4 ounces in a sitting. So when I make a couple 4 ounce bottles and he only eats 2, I save it for next time. It helps us save a lot.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this! I'm sick of wasting formula.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hallelujah!!!! I am so sick of wasting formula
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
  • Options
    We were using the leftovers, too, until our doctor told us not to!  Oops!  Said it could get bacteria.  I hate wasting it but don't want to take any chances.

• Options
    I had this conversation with the doctor a couple weeks ago. I asked if the "dump it out if it's been more than an hour" thing was real, or if that was a ploy to sell more formula. He laughed and said as long as it was within like half a day we'd be fine. Of course if you have a LO with low immunity or something like that, it could be a different story.
    Married 6/08, TTC 7/09
    MC w/ D&C 3/11 ~ 9.5 weeks
    CP/MC 1/12 ~ 5 weeks
    2 IUI's w/ BFN
    IVF 6/12 ~ 8R, 0F ~ Rescue ISCI gave us 3dt of 2 (6 cell, 9+ cell)
    DS born ~ 3/3/13
    IVF 6/14 ~ Operation Sibling ~ 10R, 5F ~ 5dt of 1 Blast
    Beta 1: 1600+, Beta 2: 4588
    Everyone Welcome!
    image image
    Pregnancy Ticker image

• Options
    This is when you make smaller bottles. If lo takes two to four oz, make a two oz bottle, feed, wait a moment to see if the last two oz are needed. Sometimes, I will make a six oz bottle then split into two three oz bottles before feeding.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    I always save it in the fridge also.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We use a formula pitcher so I make 28oz at once and put it in the fridge.  I have to warm it up then once I go to give it to Jack.  Can I still save it if it's been warmed? Because then it will be going Cool, warm, cool, warm.  I always thought it was two hours that formula was good for once they started drinking it... ops! Oh well, LO has been fine and I've been using two hour old formula that he has left over since his birth! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"