June 2013 Moms

Re: Pitocin study

• Options

It's frustrating b/c so much of hospital birth feels out of mom's hands - the docs say there is a need, and it's not like many  would fight against a doc's recommendations if baby's life is in jeopardy.  But at the same time, it's hard tto tell if the baby's life is REALLY in jeopardy or not, especially when you are in the middle of labor. 

I think that having a doula or your partner there to advocate for you is crucial.  Even if you aren't saying "no" to any specific interventions, it's really good to know exactly why they are intervening.

Thanks for sharing.  They used pitocin during my last birth (they said they asked first but I have no recollection of them asking), and I hope to not use it (or need it) this time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Umm are you trying to help educate or scare the crap out of moms that end up being induced? Hoping this had good intentions............... Not convinced. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Had a discussion with my doctor today about being induced and my fear of pitocin. To her point, pitocin is better than a stillbirth. I shut my mouth after that.

• Options

imagemeliz015:
    Umm are you trying to help educate or scare the crap out of moms that end up being induced? Hoping this had good intentions............... Not convinced

Look at the source.  It's reputable.  

I don't think this is to scare anyone.  It's simply information.  Pitocin can be a great tool if it is NEEDED.  Many times it isn't NEEDED.  

BabyFruit Ticker image image
         Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
  • Options
    Faith7Faith7 member

imagemeliz015:
    Umm are you trying to help educate or scare the crap out of moms that end up being induced? Hoping this had good intentions............... Not convinced. 

Huh?

This was a calm report, worded reasonably, without horror stories, and a summary which stated, "we don?t want to discourage the use of Pitocin, but simply want a more systematic and conscientious approach to the indications for its use"  That seems fairly mild to me.  

If her intention was to scare the crap out of anyone, she sure picked an odd source, considering the kind of stuff that's available online.

• Options
    Reading through the summary, this was done looking retrospectively at cases, not actual experimental study. All they can conclude is that the use of pitocin seems to occur more frequently in cases with negative outcomes. It does NOT mean that pitocin CAUSES these negative outcomes (correlation, not causation). I agree that it's probably overused, and I agree that it's probably not best for baby, but it could also be that babies who are having issues are more likely to have stalling labors, thus needing the pitocin to help with labor.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I read about this last week and it was on the nightly news. I was induced with pitocin since I was overdue and my son got a perfect apgar score. I am a believer that it's better to not take any medicine if you have a choice but sometimes you don't have a choice and need it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"