January 2013 Moms
Options

ff moms...

I posted this on the Feb board but wanted to get your thoughts too. DS was born feb 3 so he is closer in age to many jan babies. I'm wandering how old ur LO is, their weight, how many oz per day they drink and how often they drink. DS takes 5 oz about 7 times per day. He seems satisfied after a feeding but on occasion if we feed him more he scarfs it down like he's never eaten before. A few ppl including the ped have told me that 5 oz is plenty for my 15 week, 15 pound turkey. I'm thinking of upping it but wanted to see what other mommies are feeding as well. What do you think?

Re: ff moms...

• Options
    DD was born jan. 8. 2 weeks ago at her 4 month check, she weighed 12.5 lbs. She eats about 6 oz at a time about 5 times a day. If she's still fussy after her bottle, then I fix her 24 oz more. That doesn't happen very often.
  • Options

Your baby knows what he needs to eat more than his pedi does.  There's a relatively wide range of what's normal.  I would listen to your baby's cues.

DD takes anywhere from 4oz-8oz per bottle.  I'm not sure how many she has a day or how many ounces total.  She's more often around 4oz, sometimes 5oz.  She takes 6-8oz in the morning.  

I don't know how much she weighs right now. 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ds is 19 weeks, and weighs 13lbs. I upped him from 4 to 5 oz two weeks ago. He gets maybe 56 bottles a day, but in a sense I just feed on demand. This child always seems hungry, and has NEVER turned down a bottle. He does spit up quite a lot some days though, but is a happy spitter; those seem to be the days that he wants to eat more, maybe because he spits up so much!
  • Options
    imagestardust317:
    DD was born jan. 8. 2 weeks ago at her 4 month check, she weighed 12.5 lbs. She eats about 6 oz at a time about 5 times a day. If she's still fussy after her bottle, then I fix her 24 oz more. That doesn't happen very often.

I have a January 8th baby too!
  • Options
    DS is 13 lbs and drinks 5 bottles a day around 5 to 6 an a half oz per bottle. He drinks 25 to 27 oz per day. He is in the 17th percentile but his pedi is happy because he has doubled his weight, he was 6 lb 4 oz at birth.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSammieJane:
    imagestardust317:

I have a January 8th baby too!

I also have a jan 8th baby ::mobile smile::
  • Options
    jobiannjobiann member

DS is now 20 weeks old at his four month check he was almost 17 pounds and is eating 6oz per bottle pretty consistently every 3 hours (except his first bottle of the morning I only give him 4 oz, 6 oz on an empty stomach seem to cause him to spit up more so we do 4oz and then distract him and give him a 6oz a few hours later).

Right before bed he sometimes eats 8oz. I have never gone by a rule of what and when to feed him, I just feed him when he is hungry. Your baby knows when he is full or when he is still hungry...if he is still fussy after eating 5oz and you are sure it's not tummy gas then give him more. If it's too much he'll let you know. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    DD will be 19 weeks tomorrow. She weighs 14 lb and 5 oz as of last Wed. She takes 5oz every 4 to 4.5 hours, and once overnight, so she gets a total of 5 bottles. We also give her 1 tbsp of puree once per day, on the recommendation of her pedi.
    I think you have to go by your baby's cues. They know when they're hungry, we don't. All babies aren't the same, some need more or less than others, or more or less than the average.
  • Options
    LO varies between 68 oz at a time. He's about to be 5 months tho. I usually start with a smaller amount and if he's hungry still give him more. He definitely lets me know when he's full! Usually he eats the most right before bed.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagesbevmc09:

Your baby knows what he needs to eat more than his pedi does.  There's a relatively wide range of what's normal.  I would listen to your baby's cues.

This exactly. My son takes 6 oz with a teaspoon of oatmeal 6-7 times a day. My pedi told me that if he's hungry, feed him. He isn't overweight - in fact he's in the 25 percentile. My husband is the same way though. He can eat all day and still be hungry.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

dd is 5 months today! 

she eats about 6oz 5 times a day....averaging about 30oz a day (give or take an ounce or a bottle)...this am at 4am she took 4 (after sleeping 6 hours) but then at 630 she didn't want any....she doesn't usually wake at 4 though...but fell right back asleep in the middle of eating

at her 3.5 apt she was taking around 4-5 but sometimes like 2...dr said she should be having more than that, so we changed her nipple and she started eating more and kind of went right from 4oz to 6....

at her 4.5 apt (on the 3rd) she was 12lbs 11 oz...dr said what she was taking was good...lately she's been playing with the nipple and "chewing" it, and not taking a full 6oz every bottle, so i tried changing the flow again, but it just dribbles out...we just feed her when she's hungry....some days she's more hungry than others

• Options

My LO is 19 weeks and 15 lbs. He's in the 55th percentile for weight. During the day, he still eats every 2.5 - 3 hours (we try to keep him closer to 3 hours if possible). He doesn't consistently take the same amount at every feed. It varies from 7 oz if he's very hungry to 3 ounces if he's not. Usually his total for the day is anywhere from 27-32 oz.

My pediatrician said that we should be feeding on demand so we offer him 7 oz every feed (which is the most he's taken at any time). This way he chooses how much to eat and we're not keeping him from eating more. 

Babies aren't like adults, they don't overeat. They take what they need and it varies from feeding to feeding -- so it's always best to make a larger bottle than you think they'll drink and allow them to be the judge of what they want/need.

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • Options
    imageMichieU79:

Jack has been chewing on the nipple too lately, but it does seem too soon to change over to level 3.  I am wondering if it's teething,  I know babies can find feeding a bit uncomfortable while they are teething.   I think the sucking motion hurts their gums.

i think she might be teething too...she was quite fussy (read- cried the whole 45 minute ride home yesterday after feeding her and changing her) and kept putting everything in her mouth...blanket, toys, teething toy thing, my fingers, my knuckles...etc...but as my fingers were in there, i didn't feel anything, and she was fine earlier in the day and when we got home...i'm going to try the 3 again, and if not, then stick with the 2....the daycare said she seems bored while eating too, which made me think to change the flow 

• Options
    holly52holly52 member
    DD is a little over 4.5 months old (I lost count of the weeks).  She eats 5 ounces every 3 hours.  She weighed 13lbs 4oz at her 4 month appt on the 2nd and she is in the 48th percentile.   I just feed her when she's hungry.  I give her 5 ounces and every once in a while she will fuss and I'll give her another ounce or 2.  When she wakes up in the middle of the night I give her a 4 ounce bottle (5 seems to make her spit up at night) and she downs it and goes right back to bed. I think you should do what you feel is right.  You know your baby better than the pedi. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My son is almost 20 weeks and at his 4 month check up he weighed 17 lbs 9 oz. He normally takes 6 to 8oz every 3 to 4 hours. Like PPs said, don't stress about it too much. Every baby is different, so just follow your baby's cues.
  • Options
    ta78ta78 member

I just upped DD to 6oz bottles because she has started waking up again at night. She still has the last few nights, so I'm going to try and get another bottle in somehow and start solids. 

If your baby seems hungry still, I'd feed him more. Trying can't hurt. 

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• Options
    LO is 4 months tomorrow and taking 5oz every 3 hours, so about 6 bottles a day. She is up between 9 and 10am and sleeps around 10 or 10 30 most nights. That's around 30 oz a day. She weighed 12lbs 10oz at her 2 month appt and she is probably closer to 15 or 16, maybe 17 pounds now? Lol we will know for sure at her appointment tomorrow! But yeah, she's 4 months tomorrow and taking 30 oz a day. She has started some solids, like cereal veggies etc. though. So she's actually eating less than she used to. She was taking closer to 35 or 40 oz a day before solids... And I just started those in the last week or so. Sorry so long and probably a lot of typos... On my phone.
  • Options
    DD is 16 weeks and drinks 6 oz every 3 hours. She gets a total of 30 oz per day. I'm not sure how much she weighs but she is nice and plump! I would say to feed your baby on demand. Your baby will know when she has had enough.
  • Options
    I think that if your baby is hungry just feed him on demand, maybe he has some growth spurts.
  • Options

DD will be 20 weeks tomorrow.

She takes 5oz in 5 bottles for the day.

She is 14lbs even.

I say feed on demand.  They will let you know when they need more!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"