Breastfeeding
Options

Leaving bottles while at work and MIL comments...

My baby is 13 weeks and I go back to work on Monday. Since I will be gone from 9:30 to about 6:30 pm how many bottles do you think I should leave for MIL to feed her? (I was thinking 4 to be safe, since I'll feed her before I leave) Also, how many oz should I put in each bottle? I feel pressured to put at least 4 to 5 oz in each one since my mil has watched her once or twice for a few hours for me and both times she commented that she didn't think I was leaving enough in each bottle. (the bottles have had between 3-4 oz in them) I tried explaining that breastfed babies don't drink as many oz as ff babies (and her other grand babies were BIG eaters and ff) but both times when I came back she commented how she ate everything in the bottle and probably would have liked more... Blah blah. So am I just being frugal with my precious milk or should I be leaving more than 4 oz in a bottle? I'm just worried I won't keep up with that amt by pumping at work.  Sorry this is so long!!! Tia!

Re: Leaving bottles while at work and MIL comments...

• Options
    =Lee=B=Lee=B member

Can you do some weighed feedings during the times you would be gone and see how much your little one is taking for those feeds?

My 9 week old takes between 2.5-3oz every 2 hrs.  I did the officially weighed feedings with the LC a few weeks back.  When my little one suddenly shortened her feed time last week I was wondering if she just got more efficient or if she was taking less so I used our luggage weigher and did a weighed feeding at home!  I strapped her into the car seat and used the luggage scale to lift the car seat by it's handle.  Not sure if it 100% accurate but it seemed to work.

I plan to do that again shortly before I leave my then 12 week old with my mom and SIL for 24 hrs in a few weeks.  I'll do a few feeds to find her average and leave a bit more in the bottles for while I am away.

• Options
    My son drinks 4 oz at a time.  I think a weighted feeding is a good idea, or you should experiment this week.  Do a couple of bottle feedings a day, starting out with 3 or 3.5 oz and then gradually go up.
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    wedseptwedsept member
    My DS didn't eat 5 ounces until he was about 9 months old. 5 ounces is way too much, IMO.
  • Options
    shotzieshotzie member

Have your MIL read this: 

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/ 

This is helpful for figuring out how many ounces to give in a bottle:

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/ 

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    My DD is 11 months and does not drink more than 3 oz EVER. Her average is 2-2.5 oz/ bottle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

Okay, the people saying that it's too much because of how much their own kid eats...every kid is different. That is all.

Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I agree that every child is different. 

My experience: When I went back (DD was 7.5 weeks), she took 3oz.  Shortly after beginning DC, they asked me to bump it to 4oz and she's been there since this past week.  She usually took a bottle every 2-3 hours but lately she's been wanting it sooner than that so when DH had her last Friday, we did a trial run for 5oz bottles and it seemed to keep her satisfied longer.

• Options
    My LO drinks 4 to 5 oz bottles, but when he goes through extra hungry spurts, I leave an extra 2 oz bottle for Dad to go to if he still seems hungry after a feeding. Could you try that?
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"