September 2012 Moms
Options

Low Muscle Tone

That's what they're telling me about C.

He's 8 months and still not sitting without being propped up.

He's in physical therapy and has been for about 4 months. I'm just trying REALLY hard not to compare my guy to all these other babies I see sitting/standing/trying to crawl.

It just gets a little discouraging. I just hope he's able to sit by himself soon. It's hard needing to monitor him every single second for fear of him tumbling or folding himself in half....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

~~~ EDD for Baby #2  6/28/15~~~~

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Low Muscle Tone

• Options

I completely know how you feel hun. You know we're in the same boat. Connor did not start sitting well unassisted until about 2w ago, so it was after he turned 8m. And I felt the same way as you. I didn't want to give him the chance to sit unassisted because I didn't think he could do it TBH. Even now I put the Boppy behind him to catch him in case he throws himself back. Good news is, they are wearing helmets which honestly helps when they fall from sitting!

I also know it's very hard not to compare your LO to other LOs. Connor isn't crawling, and honestly I doubt he will be until closer to 1 year. I don't expect him to walk before Christmas either. That's just what I keep telling myself in my head in order to not be disappointed and freaked out. It still happens though. That's natural.

Plus our boys are big! That works against them too. You know you can text me anytime you want to talk Sad

• Options
    My SIL has a muscle tone disorder and each of my nephews has it to varying degrees.  They are all healthy, VERY active little boys that play sports and do all sorts of things.  While it may be "apparent" right now, I really wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it, because he will do things in his own time and it will be great!  Seriously, my 3rd nephew has it the worst and he is turning into a fantastic athlete and it doesn't slow him down at all!  It will be okay momma!

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My DS does not have low muscle tone and he still didn't really get the hang of sitting until around 8 months. It's going to be a while until he crawls. Frankly, I'm glad I get a little more time to relax before I have to chase the little bugger around all the time.

Hang in there. He'll do it in his own time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMainelyFoolish:

My DS does not have low muscle tone and he still didn't really get the hang of sitting until around 8 months. It's going to be a while until he crawls. Frankly, I'm glad I get a little more time to relax before I have to chase the little bugger around all the time.

Hang in there. He'll do it in his own time.

This is what I keep telling myself, to appreciate it rather than stress about it.

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    Leo always folded over instead of falling back so to practice sitting I did the boppy backwards on him so the opening was to the back. I put a pillow on the back open part just in case too. It was a way to give me a little more freedom when he was wanting to sit but couldn't yet.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options

DS can sit unassisted, but he still doesn't understand the concept that if he throws himself backwards, he will fall.  He also is nowhere near crawling either.  

He JUST figured out how to sit unassisted, but he can't sit without something behind him to catch him if he leans back.  

I'm also looking at all the crawling/climbing/walking LOs we have here, and wonder if he's behind.  But honestly, it's much easier not chasing him just yet!

Little B 9.20.12
  • Options
    He will get there. Try your hardest not to compare. Also,know your not alone.

Lucy is in PT for torticollis,head/neck control,and weakness. Her goals have her projected to sit unassisted by 10 months.
  • Options

My oldest was diagnosed with hypotonia around 11 months for similar issues. I know exactly how frustrating it is. We went through neurologists, genetic testing, OT's, PT's and all kinds of blood work to figure out what the underlying cognitive reason is. You know what? He's fine now at 2.5. He started crawling at 14 months and started walking days before his second birthday.

It's very stressful but your LO will get there. My youngest is being pretty closely monitored but exhibits no signs of hypotonia (although he's still not crawling - brat).

Big hugs. In a few years no one will ever know the difference, I promise.  

• Options
    I know the feeling : DS2 just started sitting unassisted. He nowhere near ready to crawl. DS1 crawled at 10.5 months and walked at 16 months. He's a thriving, crazy 2.5 year old boy who loves to run. Keep your head up. You're doing all you can.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagepumpkinhead81:
    I know the feeling : DS2 just started sitting unassisted. He nowhere near ready to crawl. DS1 crawled at 10.5 months and walked at 16 months. He's a thriving, crazy 2.5 year old boy who loves to run. Keep your head up. You're doing all you can.

I know it's frustrating to think your child is delayed, but hypotonia is a medical condition that can require some pretty intensive physical and occupational therapy. It's not just a baby who is meeting milestones a bit later than their peers.

OP, I know there some hypotonia moms on the Special Needs board if you want to pick their brains, too. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"