Cloth Diapering
Options

What to do about stinky diapers...Please Help!

Hello ladies! We have been cloth diapering my newborn since the hospital, which has been about 4 weeks. We use prefolds and covers. Two days ago we noticed a strong oder in the diapers after she urinated. I was worried about a UTI so we started trying to figure out if it was the diapers. After she peed a few times in diapers she has never worn with normal smell we are certain it is our newborn stash. We do a cold rinse no detergent, then a hot wash with 1 and a half tablespoons of rockin green for hard water. We wash once a day. Can you ladies suggest what to do to fix this problem? Thanks for any help we can get.

Re: What to do about stinky diapers...Please Help!

• Options
    I had trouble with Rockin' Green. I'd start first by adding an extra rinse at the end of your cycle. I just do a short wash in cold/cold at the end - rinses them a few times. If that doesn't help, you may need to switch detergents. We use Tide or Gain powder, and they work better for us (plus they're a lot cheaper :)).

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Is it ammonia stink or barnyard stink?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    APriceAPrice member

I would try two things to see if it helps...first, add an extra rinse to the hot wash cycle and second, use more detergent. I found in the beginning (when I was afraid of using too much detergent) that I was in fact not using enough and we had a little stink issue until I figured it out. 

If those don't work, try switching detergents to see if that helps. Good luck! 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"