Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Bedtime still a nightmare

My LO wants to be awake until after 11.  We are working on establishing a bedtime routine.  He will fall sound asleep at 7pm and sometimes will sleep a long stretch until 2 or 3am.  But many nights (like tonight) he wakes up at 8 and refuses to go back to sleep.  Swaddling, paci, rocking, nothing works.  My husband and I used to just keep him downstairs with us while we ate dinner and watched tv until he fell asleep but since we've been trying to get him established in his routine we just trade off who is trying to get him to fall asleep.  We've been at this for 5 nights now and I feel like we aren't making any progress.  I miss seeing my DH at night!  Should we just give up and spend time together and let LO stay up with us?  Argh!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Bedtime still a nightmare

• Options
    I'm with you mama! my DS seems to have an awake/fussy period every night, but the timing varies. I can nurse and put him down for the night anytime between 630-800 and he might sleep for 45 minutes, but then fuss and stay awake until 930, 10 or 11. It sucks.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options

What time is his last nap of the day? That could be affecting it if it is too close to bed time. My kids both are night owls, and I start bedtime routine at 7:30 and get them into bed by at least 8:30. My infants last nap doesn't go past 5 otherwise she will NEVER go to sleep.

I also don't go into a different room to put LO down, and it didn't affect her nighttime routine. She gets put to sleep in the living room while I am watching tv or talking to DH and DD1, then I put her in her crib. 

Hope any of that helps, it will get easier though! Bedtime wasn't easy for us until DD2 was about 2.5 months old.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't give up. 7 to 2 or 3 is a great stretch of sleep and exactly what you want to keep encouraging.
  • Options
    Have you tried a bath? A nighttime walk in the stroller for fresh air? Those have been successful for us. We use the halo sleep sack too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We are having a hard time figuring out bedtime too. We want to establish a bedtime routine also, but it is so difficult to figure out what time to do it. He generally falls asleep for the night anytime between 6:30 and 9:30. I try to start soothing him to sleep around 6:30 or 7, but most of the time he is just not having it (even if he is obviously tired and fussy). So we also keep him downstairs with us so that we can continuously try to soothe him to sleep (while we eat dinner and try to relax) until it finally takes. Then we put him in the swing until we go to bed, when he gets changed, fed, and put in his RnP. It is really exhausting on the nights that he doesn't fall asleep until we actually go to bed at 9:30. Then I don't get any evening me-time :(

No advice really, just commiserating that this is a challenging age to figure out a bedtime because these babies are so unpredictable and don't fit easily into a routine yet. I guess just do what works best for you and DH for now.

• Options
    jannv11jannv11 member

I would say keep up the routine a little longer.  I've been doing it for 2 months now and I can get DD to bed by 9 or 9:30.  I miss DH too and lately he watches tv in our bed room and i stand with DD in the dark hall :)  Just waiting for the day she goes down by 8 and gives me my evenings back!!!  Might depend also on what hours you want the baby to sleep.  If you aren't going back to work or work a different schedule then maybe staying up later and sleeping in would work in your house.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"