Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

How Much Feeding is normal?

My LO is seven weeks and is eating 4-5 oz. every 3 1/2 hours. She normally eats 3 4oz bottles a day and 3 5oz bottles a day(equalling to 27 hours in a 24 hour day). 

Our pediatrician told us she should be eating 6 oz by our next appointment (next week at 8 weeks). There is no way she's going to be there. She BARELY gets down the 5 oz. It takes us longer to get her to eat 5 but she does end up eating the whole bottle. 

I was just wondering I guess what the 'norm' is for you moms. Is my LO not eating enough for the age?

Re: How Much Feeding is normal?

• Options
    Why would she need to eat 6 oz? That sounds like a lot for a 2 month old.

I found an article on baby center that said not to feed more than 32 oz of formula in a day. It sounds like your LO is getting the correct amount right now.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    Thank you! That is relieving! :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    DS is 10 weeks and only takes 4oz at a time, about every 3 hours. I've tried getting him to take 5oz but he won't. My pedi said he's doing fine at his 2 month appointment. As long as your LO is gaining weight, I'd say you're doing great the way you are, no reason to force feed.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    DS never took more than 4 ozs of BM, formula or cow's milk (once he was 1 yr) ever.  As long as the LO is getting enough in a day, I don't see why it needs to be X amount per feeding.  I think it sounds like you're just fine!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    thats azz crazy my 9mon old only drinks 5oz at a time
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Scarlet Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My 10 week old only drinks 2 to 3 ounces at a time. About 18 oz a day
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    smfdjosmfdjo member
    I don't think there is a normal for an age.  A 5lb baby at 7 weeks will eat less than a 9lb baby at 7 weeks.  How big is your baby?
  • Options
    My 9 week old only takes 3 to 4 oz per feeding every 3 hours and does an 8 hour stretch at night on that much at his evening feeding. He gained 2 lbs between his 1 and 2 month appointments so the amount is right for him. Babies aren't robots, they are little people. Some eat more than others. As long as she is satisfied and gaining then she is fine.

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"