Breastfeeding
Options

Q for dairy free moms

We've been really struggling to figure out how to help out baby boy. He is so fussy all the time, colicky, groans like he's in pain, won't let us put him down, occasional green stools...

Our LC suggested going dairy free for awhile to see if that helps. So I read about it on the Kellymom site and he also seems to have a few symptoms like wheezy congestion and bad sleeping while waking up uncomfortably.

I was just curious if that's what it sounds like to you. Also, how long did you have to be dairy free to see a difference or say no that's not it?

Tia!
Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Q for dairy free moms

• Options
    My LO had the same type symptoms, I cut out dairy 4 weeks ago. Within a week we noticed her rash and colicky systems subsiding and within 2 weeks she was a completely different baby, so much happier.

I cut out soy also, at about 3 weeks I had a soy latte and paid it for it that night. She was a wreck, painful gas, fussy... So no more soy for me also.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageJenBee74:
    My LO had the same type symptoms, I cut out dairy 4 weeks ago. Within a week we noticed her rash and colicky systems subsiding and within 2 weeks she was a completely different baby, so much happier.

I cut out soy also, at about 3 weeks I had a soy latte and paid it for it that night. She was a wreck, painful gas, fussy... So no more soy for me also.

What kind of foods do you eat?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    =Lee=B=Lee=B member

imagekatief27:
    imageJenBee74:
    My LO had the same type symptoms, I cut out dairy 4 weeks ago. Within a week we noticed her rash and colicky systems subsiding and within 2 weeks she was a completely different baby, so much happier. I cut out soy also, at about 3 weeks I had a soy latte and paid it for it that night. She was a wreck, painful gas, fussy... So no more soy for me also.

I just started eating dairy free and it seemed very daunting at first then I realized that I could shop fairly easily in the Kosher section of my grocery store.  We live near a Synagogue so have a lot of Jewish families nearby therefore our grocery store has a few isles of kosher foods as well as their own mini bakery and meat section. Not all kosher foods are dairy free but a good chunk of them are and they all say so on the labels.

Not sure if you can find something similar in your city but it was a huge help...I came home with a large load of dairy free foods and don't really feel like I'm missing too much...aside from all my favorites like cheese cake, chocolate and cheese :-(

• Options
    image=Lee=B:

imagekatief27:
    imageJenBee74:

I just started eating dairy free and it seemed very daunting at first then I realized that I could shop fairly easily in the Kosher section of my grocery store.  We live near a Synagogue so have a lot of Jewish families nearby therefore our grocery store has a few isles of kosher foods as well as their own mini bakery and meat section. Not all kosher foods are dairy free but a good chunk of them are and they all say so on the labels.

Not sure if you can find something similar in your city but it was a huge help...I came home with a large load of dairy free foods and don't really feel like I'm missing too much...aside from all my favorites like cheese cake, chocolate and cheese :-(

Do y'all cook separate meals for your families or do they go dairy free too?
  • Options
    I think trying to go completely dairy free for 3 weeks is a good idea. This includes hidden dairy, here is a helpful page on ingredients to look out for
    https://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.htmlbadingredients
    Sorry it's not clicky, I'm on my phone.
    We have a check in on this board every Monday for MSPI moms [milk/soy protein intolerance]. The posts are archived at mspimoms.blogspot.com. We talk about food a lot! You can scroll through the topics to find the foodie posts.
    GL, it is daunting at first but gets easier with time.
  • Options

It would not hurt to try going dairy free to see if it helps.  I went dairy free and saw gradual improvement, but she still had symptoms after 1 month.  Once I eliminated soy, she was totally better. 

It is a huge adjustment to your diet at first, and super frustrating, but you get the hang of it.  GL. 

Oh, and to answer your question, your description definitely sounds like it could be the dairy.  DD ALWAYS had to be held/bounced/etc, very fussy and gassy, not sure about groaning.... but she definitely had a pain scream.  It broke my heart, bc I didn't know what to do.  I went dairy free at 2-3 months, then got back on dairy bc I didn't see the total improvement... then I was really kicking myself later on.  Finally at 5 months I went dairy and soy free after her diaper tested positive for blood.  HTH.

DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • Options

It sounds like that is what it is to me as well. First I cut out all obvious dairy and noticed a slight difference with her crying after a week. Then I cut out all hidden dairy and noticed a difference again within a week. It took over 3 weeks before it was all out of both our systems. Everyone comments now as to what a change they see in her. She is finally a happy baby! 

I don't make different meals for the rest of my family. Every now and then I will do a quick side dish for dh. Going out to eat is very difficult. Check out MPSImamma. She has great tips and recipies.

Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"