Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

wwyd?

Hi ladies. I just got home from the pedi's office and I'm at a loss here. My son has reflux. He started zantac when he was 2 weeks old, it worked great for a few weeks. He is now almost 7 weeks, and his symptoms are back and worse than ever. I called the pedi and told them he is miserable, crying until he turns purple and holds his breath, arching, gagging after feeds. He just looks like he's in so much pain. They had me bring him in. They said he's gaining weight well, and looks healthy, so there isn't much else to do for him. His zantac dose is still good for his weight.

I went through the same thing with DS#1, and they just kept telling me to do what I'm doing, which doesn't help! With DS#1, one of the pedis suggested adding cereal to his bottles, which really helped, he was like a new kid. I asked the pedi I saw today and he said no. I want to do it anyway. Would you? I hate to see my baby in pain, but also don't want to contradict the dr's orders.

Btw, I am looking for a new pedi because I do not feel as if my concerns are being addressed, and a few friends have had issues with this office as well, but I'm thinknig of trying the cereal in the mean time. WWYD?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: wwyd?

• Options
    khazekhaze member
    I'm a FTM so take my opinion with that in mind. If I were you I would add the cereal to his bottles if you feel like its the same situation your other child was in. If it doesn't make a difference this time, you could always stop the cereal if you're not totally comfortable giving it. In reality, your new pedi when you find one could give that an OK.

Declan 2.21.2013
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 6.22.2015

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    egb+jafegb+jaf member
    You're the mom and at the end of the day he's your child not the pedi's. you tried it with your first lo and it worked, as long as you're careful what else do you have to lose? Youve already had to watch your poor baby scream in pain.

My dd also has reflux and thankfully my pedi ok'd the cereal because it has made a world of difference and we don't need meds at this point. I say go for it, you know what's best for your own children. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    tilsonctilsonc member
    I would use the cereal and find another ped. Why won't they let you try prilosec? Thats what we use and it works great. Do you have a compound formula? I know ours does not work as well toward the end of the bottle (so we order a new one about 3/4 of the way). They also make a formula with cereal already added (AD?)
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I just don't understand, with DS#1, they were so anti-meds and suggested the cereal, I was EPing. Then with DS#2, they went right to meds, and are anti-cereal. I'm EPing again, so it's not like it interferes with BFing. I went out and bought some. And I have a few pedis to call tomorrow and hopefully get an appt before DS's 2 month appt at the end of the month.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If you feel like cereal would help and you remember the recommendations from last time then go ahead and try it. We had to do Prevacid and load DS1's bottles with a couple of tablespoons of cereal in order to see a difference in him. Luckily, DS2 does not have reflux but if he did we would do cereal again.

image image
  • Options
    egb+jafegb+jaf member
    amykins.. Sorry to hijack the post but I was just wondering what you did to combat constipation from adding multiple tbsps of cereal to your lo's bottles?

• Options
    lbonga1lbonga1 member
    We had the same thing happen with the zantac only working for about a month. Now we have her on prilosec, and her symptoms have gotten a lot better (and stayed that way!). I'm a FTM so I don't have any experience with giving cereal, but I would think if it was suggested for your first LO, then there shouldn't be any reason not to try it with this LO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"