Breastfeeding
Options

Pumping sessions

How long do you pump for? I have been doing it once a day for about 15 minutes as of this week. Should I be doing it longer? I've only been able to get an ounce from each side. Which I am fine with at this point. Will it eventually increase? 
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pumping sessions

• Options
    a13049a13049 member
    Honestly I usually do it for less than 10 but that's because I have a huge supply and I am getting about 8 ounces in less than 10 minutes.

• Options

imagea13049:
    Honestly I usually do it for less than 10 but that's because I have a huge supply and I am getting about 8 ounces in less than 10 minutes.

OMG thats a ton! Lucky girl!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm assuming you are pumping in addition to BF LO directly.  If that's the case 2 oz total is a GREAT amount.  The normal amount is about 1 oz for each hour.

Most women pump to replace feedings, so they get more and will sometimes pump longer.  I pump for 20 min.  Some pump for longer when they replace a feeding because they get a 2nd (or 3rd) let down around 20 or 25 min.

Married 6-7-08
    Everett 4-27-12
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagealie78_80:

I'm assuming you are pumping in addition to BF LO directly.  If that's the case 2 oz total is a GREAT amount.  The normal amount is about 1 oz for each hour.

Most women pump to replace feedings, so they get more and will sometimes pump longer.  I pump for 20 min.  Some pump for longer when they replace a feeding because they get a 2nd (or 3rd) let down around 20 or 25 min.

Thanks! Yes i pump after nursing him in the morning...forgot to add that!  

• Options
    I pump for 10 min right after I feed my LO in the morning. For me I have up and down days. Some days I get 1 oz, some 3! I try to drink a full glass of water before. Sometimes I will get two let downs, and sometimes just one. It helps to have my LO in front of me too!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

~I have a baby in heaven 3-20-12~
  • Options
    a13049a13049 member
    imageKMLilly143:
    imagealie78_80:

Thanks! Yes i pump after nursing him in the morning...forgot to add that!  

Well this totally changes my answer, when I pump after feeding I will usually get about an ounce in the side I fed off and 23 ounce off te other side

• Options
    I've always done about 20 minutes a session. I find you do get more milk as your body gets used to the pump.

• Options
    I always did 15 minute long sessions.  As DD got older I got more volume, to a point.  I leveled off at 3 oz by the time she was 3 or 4 months old.  That was straight pumping though, not pumping after feeding.  I only did that a few times before going back to work to get used to pumping.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"