Attachment Parenting
Options

What would you tell a group of pg women about carriers?

I'm attending a prenatal yoga class, and often after class there is a little educational presentation. I offered to bring in my baby carriers to let the other moms see them and try them out if they like. I've got a mei tai, an Ergo Sport, a ring sling, a homemade stretchy wrap, and a Seven Sling (mostly as a "don't bother" warning).

I was thinking to just cover the basics of supporting a baby knee-to-knee, keeping baby visible and kissable, and how to carry a newborn. And then where locally one can buy good carriers and a plug for the local babywearing FB group. I am neither a retailer nor an official babywearing eduator - I'm just a mom with a slight carrier addiction.

Re: What would you tell a group of pg women about carriers?

• Options
    ktbee33ktbee33 member
    Okay I have a question for you ladies. I have a sprout pouch which is similar to the sevens sling. Why is this a don't bother? I have been using mine for hip carries, should I not?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagektbee33:
    Okay I have a question for you ladies. I have a sprout pouch which is similar to the sevens sling. Why is this a don't bother? I have been using mine for hip carries, should I not?

Seven Sling is really low quality, and pouch slings only work if you get exactly the right size because they're not adjustable. If it works for you, great! I did use my Seven Sling for hip carries for a really brief period, and it worked and was really small for the diaper bag. Meanwhile, I'm still using my ring sling and Ergo with my 2 year old. That's not happening with the Seven Sling. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I thinking a showing of "how to" would be really beneficial.  I've heard so many people say the Moby is difficult to put on, but I never felt that way because our hospital makes you take a "before you go home" class and the instructor demonstrated how to use it.  Seeing someone do it made it seem much more simple than figuring it out ourselves.

She also showed all the benefits of using a carrier - including napping while baby-wearing (If you're exhausted, put the baby in a carrier and then sit in a chair, that way you don't have to worry about dropping the baby when you fall asleep)

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

What carries are good at what age, might be good to cover.  So when can I put a baby on my back and in what types of carriers.

Don't know if you planned to teach it but I would avoid teaching the cradle carry in a RS since it's hard to do safely esp as a newbie and easy to end up with a blocked airway.

What types of carriers to avoid - bag style, as you mentioned the Seven Slings etc, pouches if you are looking for a longterm use 1 buy item

Benefits of wearing baby facing in vs out, since most folks are used to seeing the Bjorn style.

Benefits of an Ergo/Boba or other SSC vs a Bjorn long term, weigh distribution for wearer etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I would emphasize that there are a whole bunch of varieties, so if mom or baby doesn't like one, you can try another. I would also emphasize that some babies don't like certain caries or to be carried at certain stages, so you can always try a different way or a different time.

While I'd mention the crotch-dangle problem, I'd be moderate about it.  I would mention the chin-tuck breathing problem, of course, but again, without trying to scare any one.  I would also warn about back carries with stretchy wraps, but focus on the carriers you CAN do back carries in.

I'd also mention that what carrier you use may well change over the course of LO's carrying days, and that you can still wear toddlers, but maybe not so much with that stretchy wrap. ;) 

IMG_8355
  • Options

I would keep it very positive. Saying that support should be knee to knee, keeping knees above bum rather than saying 'no crotch danglers' goes farther IME. I used a hip dysplasia institute diagram showing hip position in different carriers and the friend put it together herself that the bjorn doesn't fit the bill. Same thing with facing in vs out. I'd focus on the benefits of in rather than telling them not to use outward facing carries.

• Options
    cpmichcpmich member
    Would add a brief comment on where to babywear everywhere!. You would be surprised how many people don't think to wear the baby at home, which is particularly a lifesaver when separation anxiety kicks in and you need to do laundry etc.
  • Options

I think a really useful tool is to find a list of good YouTube videos.  Doesn't ncbelle have videos on the becomingmamas site?  I would just put together a list of URLs that people could trust were good sources, rather than just search and pray that that person was correct.  

Other than that, I think PPs got it covered.   

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Options
    I did round 1 last night and do another class on Thursday. It went well - I tried to focus on the positives rather than the "Bjorn's are bad because..." I also mentioned the good local retailers in town, and then a few budget options (like the Infantino mei tai or making your own ring sling with the proper rings).
  • Options

I called my mei tai "baby insurance" because I took so many naps with him strapped to my front those first few weeks. It was my guarantee I wouldn't drop him while reclined on a pile of pillows on the couch. Wink

The yoga teacher and I both also mentioned how great baby wearing is for breastfeeding in public - it's a built in non-obvious cover!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"