Stay at Home Moms
Options

Fluffy wheat bread?

Anyone have any good recipes for fluffy whole wheat bread? Everything I have found online is either almost all white flour or has 2 sticks of butter in it. And everything I have made is delicious but dense. DH really wants fluffy bread/rolls for sandwiches but I don't want to go back to store bought.

Re: Fluffy wheat bread?

• Options
    jehprbjehprb member

This one is called "feather puff" - it's awesomely light and fluffy and with extra protein too because of all the dairy in it :)

1.5c. cottage cheese

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1/4c. honey

1/2c. water

2tsp. active dry yeast

1/2c. warm water

5c. whole wheat flour, finely ground (the fluffy soft kind that feels like all-purpose)

1/2c. powdered milk

1/5tsp. salt

2Tbs. butter in cold chips

Warm cottage cheese gently in a saucepan.  Remove from heat and mix in the eggs, honey, and water, taking care that the cottage cheese is not so warm that it cooks the eggs.  The final mixture should be around 80*

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.

Mix the flour, powdered milk, and salt thoroughly making a well in them and adding the liquids.  Mix to make a dough and test for consistency adding water or flour if needed.  The dough should be very soft and it will be sticky to work with but if you add too much flour now it will be dry later on and the bread won't rise as high as it should.

For the lightest bread knead very well.  Knead at least 15 minutes and then add the butter little by little and knead again until quite silky.

Because it contains so many eggs this dough rises rather slowly.  Even so, be careful not to wait too long.  When it has risen well (approximately 1.5hrs) gently poke it's sinder with a wet finger applying the usual test to see if it is ready to deflate.  The dough should not sigh but is ready as soon as the hole you have made remains without filling in.  Press the dough flat and shape it again into a smooth ball.  Let it rise again as before (this time 45-60 minutes).

Divide the dough in two and form two smooth rounds.  Protect the rounds from drafts letting them rest until the dough regains it's suppleness.  Shape carefully and place into greased 8x4 loaf pans for the final rise (approx. 45 minutes). When spongey and quite high, put them in a preheated oven of 325* and bake for about an hour but check after 45 minutes because if the bread is exceptionally light it will bake faster.  The bread is prettiest brushed with butter when it comes out.

Difficult as it is, let this one cool completely before slicing. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That looks great, Ill have to pick up cottage cheese. Plus I was just thinking today how I need to eat more dairy Smile Thanks!
  • Options

https://www.vanderbiltwife.com/2012/04/fluffy-100-whole-wheat-bread-it-can-be-done/

This is my favorite recipe.  It only makes 2 loaves in my bread pans, but it does turn out nicely.  I use all honey instead of half honey half sugar.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"