July 2012 Moms
Options

dog question

We have had one of our dogs for about two years.  In that time, she has been sick probably 8 or 9 times with several days of either diarrhea, vomiting or a combination of the two.  Right now she is having bloody poop and this has happened before.  She has been to the vet before for these issues and prescribed antibiotics.  But it keeps coming back. 

My husband always feeds her from his plate, so I wonder if certain foods trigger this. My husband thinks it is triggered from stress.  I know I can talk to my vet about this, and I will - but I am frustrated that they always just prescribe some meds, give me a bill and send me on my way.  I would like a more permanent solution.  So just curious if any J12s have had any success with special diets, alternate treatments etc for their dogs. 

Other than the nasty poop and vomiting, she is totally herself and was running around having lots of fun in the park yesterday.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

Re: dog question

• Options
    I don't get why he'd be willing to pay the vet over and over but not stop feeding the dog people food.  I mean, duh, yeah, that could definitely be it.
  • Options

IMO, there's a reason why there is dog food and a reason why there is people food. When I first met my DH, he was feeding his lab steaks, burgers, etc. I put an end to that real quick! He ended up not only having weight issues but also died of lung cancer... who knows what to attribute that too. But I think that their GI systems can't handle processing our processed foods. I would ask your DH to stop.

We have 3 labs now and they never, ever get table food with the following exceptions:

they get carrots as treats

any leftover salmon that isn't very seasoned

some leftover bacon that isn't "flavored" - ours is usually straight from our pig Smile

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemightybee:

I'd ask your husband to stop feeding her from his plate. Even if it's not causing her GI issues, it probably isn't helping it any. We rarely give our dogs "people food." Good luck!

It is frustrating because as long as we have had a dog in our house, I have been asking him not to feed them from his plate.  It's not good for their health or their manners.

The only "people" food I ever give them are things like carrots or apple.  We buy high quality dog food and treats from local stores.  A few days ago, we got some falafel and my husband asked for scraps of donair meat for the dogs.  They are little dogs and he gave them a lot.  So frustrating!

• Options
    The people food probably isn't helping. Does your dog have IBD? The bloody poop assuming is it diarrhea? Is cause for concern.
    Good luck, hope your pup feels better.
    "Parenting is a constant struggle between making your kid's live better and ruining your own." Willie Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty'
    Anniversary IMAG1763 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"