Breastfeeding
Options

Going back to work

Anyone have any advice on how to prepare to go back to work? LO is currently 7 weeks and I will be going back to work in 3 weeks. I have been trying to pump as much as I can and get about 8 extra ounces a day to freeze. I currently have about 80 oz. I am really worried I won't have enough milk for him. I have my husband feed him a bottle at night and he eats about 3 oz. What are other mother's experiencing and any tips for transitioning back to work? Do you do any supplementing? Do you breastfeed or bottle feed at home?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Going back to work

• Options
    80 oz is great! You really just need enough freezer milk to send to daycare on the 1st day. I think we started out sending 4 3oz bottles and DS would only drink 3. I have not supplemented but my supply went down about 7 months and I added a pump at night and dipped into my 200 oz stash. I only pump 2 times at work. Good luck back to work and you can do this! I bf at home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I went back a little later (5 months) but the transition really wasn't very difficult.  As pp's said, 80 oz is fine.  You really only need enough for the first day - you'll get so much more when you're pumping to replace a feeding.

At 5 months when my son started he was eating 4oz and eating every 3 hours.  So I sent in four 4oz bottles (3 for the time I was gone and an extra just in case).  He ate all 4 bottles.  This continued the entire time he was on bottles, and was a battle I was constantly facing.  I pumped twice at work and once before bed, and nursed at home before and after daycare. But those 3 pumping sessions weren't enough for 4 bottles, so I ended up having to dip into my freezer stash. I added a couple more pump sessions (one on the way to work, and on weekend mornings) and was able to make enough to keep him on breastmilk until he was 13 months.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"