Breastfeeding
Options

Fixed! Extended BF weekly check-in

Happy Wednesday - it's almost lunch time - yay thread!

(For the purposes of this post nursing past one year is  considered extended. Lurkers welcome. Questions are occasionally recycled)

1. How old is your nursing LO(s)?

2. How long did you think you were going to nurse (i.e. what was the plan/goal originally)?

3. Did you want or try to wean at any point?

4. What's tougher - a nursing strike or a marathon session? 

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want me to put into rotation - post it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Fixed! Extended BF weekly check-in

• Options
    litzo27litzo27 member

1. DS2 is 20 months.

2. 2 years or a bit beyond. With DS1 I was planning for 1 year and then to reevaluate. Ended up doing 2. I did have a sister and SIL as role-models who were nursing toddlers.

3.  Nope. Although was happy to quit pumping at work around 15 months.

4. We haven't had more than 3 nursing sessions per day (plus some at night) since he was 10 months or so. I kinda miss the newborn marathon session because it was my excuse to vegetate in front of the tv and snack for hours on end. I hate nursing strikes. Had it with DS1 when he had a throat infection and had it with DS2 for no apparent reason and they freak me out in terms of dehydration fears and thinking that he'll wean. 

5. Why am I having these copy-paste issues now?? Is this a firefox thing or a bump thing?  Ugh.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1. DS is 2.5 years next week.

2. One year.  18 months max.

3. There are days I think about weaning, but haven't made any plans to yet.

4. Never had a nursing strike.  DS has been nursing more and more lately, and I'm starting to feel a little spent.

5. I'm going on a work trip in ~2 weeks and am sharing a room with another mother of a newborn (we were assigned a room together since we both pump).  We've never met, so she doesn't know how old my DS is.  I am secretly afraid that she is going to judge the fact that I am pumping for my 2.5 year old.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DD#2 is 15 months old now.  

2. How long did you think you were going to nurse (i.e. what was the plan/goal originally)?

I never had a "goal" but thought I would nurse till about 1 or a little longer.  My first DD weaned at right before a year because I was pregnant w/DD#2 and she was NOT liking my milk, plus I pretty much lost all my milk.  I was sad, but not too sad because I was pregnant anyway! 

Nope.  I'm so happy nursing her.   

nursing strike because you drive yourself crazy wondering if they're eating enough, then you get engorged and have to pump. 

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want me to put into rotation - post it.  

For the past 2 days (knocks on wood) DD#2 has not waken up to nurse at night! she's slept from about 9 pm to 6 am without stirring!  

• Options
    litzo27litzo27 member
    imageILoveRunning:

5. I'm going on a work trip in ~2 weeks and am sharing a room with another mother of a newborn (we were assigned a room together since we both pump).  We've never met, so she doesn't know how old my DS is.  I am secretly afraid that she is going to judge the fact that I am pumping for my 2.5 year old.

Or she may be encouraged and will view you as a veteran! And if she does judge - life is too short to care.

• Options
    litzo27litzo27 member

imagemexicolombiana:

For the past 2 days (knocks on wood) DD#2 has not waken up to nurse at night! she's slept from about 9 pm to 6 am without stirring!  

Oooo - that's awesome!!! DS2 has been pretty much sleeping 9-6 for several months. Maybe once or twice a week he'll still wake up either during the night or super-early but I'll take that. Don't you just feel like a new woman in the morning!

• Options
    caybehcaybeh member

1. Almost 14 months.

2. At least a year and then go from there.

3. I'm actually weaning right now and am down to once a day. He pretty much self weaned once I offered him WCM and only nursed when he asked.

4. I kind of enjoyed the marathon sessions of the newborn, as I could sit and veg as someone else already stated!

5. My LO also slept through the night the past two nights, and it was awesome!!!!! 

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• Options

20 months

I had no goal in mind. I actually had prepared myself that I wouldn't be able to BF due to a really big surgery I had on my chest when I was younger, and I knew there was a good possibility that it wouldn't work due to severed nerves and milk ducts. (I have feeling in my nipples, but no feeling from the nipple-line inwards or below)

Nope! I plan on letting DS self wean.

Emotionally for me, the nursing strikes. The marathon sessions were physically worse due to the nipple soreness and not being able to hand off the baby for even a minute to use the bathroom or eat without him screaming.

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want me to put into rotation - post it. I am starting to get baby fever- a lot of the moms we see at playgroups are pregnant, and I find myself thinking about it a lot. :)
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options

1. 17 months

2. How long did you think you were going to nurse (i.e. what was the plan/goal originally)? 1 year was the goal.  I didn't really think about what was coming after.

3. Did you want or try to wean at any point? yes, probably.  Will try to conceive maybe at the end of this year, so maybe then.

4. What's tougher - a nursing strike or a marathon session? What's a nursing strike?  LOL.  I think the longest she ever went without wanting to nurse was 10 hours?  So marathon for sure.

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want me to put into rotation - post it. I love bfing in general, but sometimes I feel like it creates too big of a bond that makes me irreplaceable (which I love 95% of the time, but sometimes I think it makes it too difficult to be away from her).  This is the main reason that I want to wean in the next few months.  That and the fact that she will occasionally scream at night for 20 minutes + for boob.  We've been night weaned for  about three weeks.

• Options
    1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? He'll be 19 months tomorrow

2. How long did you think you were going to nurse (i.e. what was the plan/goal originally)? My original original goal was just to be able to nurse. (I was worried it might not work out).  Once I knew it was going to work, I had planned on nursing until he had teeth!

3. Did you want or try to wean at any point? We're working on that now.  Right now he's down to one session a day, before bed.  But I still don't feel like he's completely weaned from the morning session, so I'm holding off on dropping the last one.

4. What's tougher - a nursing strike or a marathon session? For me, the nursing strike.  It was scary to think it might be the end of our breastfeeding relationship.  I didn't mind the marathon sessions too much, it just meant a lazy time on the couch, watching television!

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageILoveRunning:

1. DS is 2.5 years next week.

2. One year.  18 months max.

3. There are days I think about weaning, but haven't made any plans to yet.

4. Never had a nursing strike.  DS has been nursing more and more lately, and I'm starting to feel a little spent.

Or maybe she will think you are all kinds of awesome and a role model :)

• Options
    imagelitzo27:
    imageILoveRunning:

Or she may be encouraged and will view you as a veteran! And if she does judge - life is too short to care.

I hope so.  I've never gotten any negative feedback, and if I did, then I would consider it the other person's problem.  I still would hate it though if somebody thought it was wrong or gross, because I think that extending nursing is so special, and I love the bonding time with my son.

• Options
    aglennaglenn member

1.  14 months

2.  No real goal; DD nursed until after her second birthday and I was fine with that.  I'd prefer DS to self-wean as well, but of course if it reaches a point where it's making me crazy I may push him along.

3.  Nope, not yet.  With DD I worried about it a little when I was pregnant with DS because tandem nursing did not sound like fun to me, but she self-weaned before he was born and I didn't have to do anything.

4.  Nursing strike.  It didn't happen often but I hated getting engorged and having to pump, and stressing out about it all.  Marathon nursing sessions are great for surfing the web on my phone.  :)

5.  I am insanely jealous of all this STTN talk.  I have not STTN in going on 4 years now.  Somebody save me!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1. He'll be 2 in a week!

2. In the beginning, I thought we'd be done around a year.

3. No, it's been fairly smooth sailing. I did night-wean at 18 months - and that was a good choice for us. Sleep is amazing.

4. I've never had a nursing strike, so I imagine that.

5. I still see milk when DS pulls off sometimes, so I guess I've still got it! I am not looking forward to the colostrum/diarrhea that likely lurks in the near future.  

• Options

1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? almost 20 months

2. How long did you think you were going to nurse (i.e. what was the plan/goal originally)?  My goal was a year.  At a year I was ready for her to lose interest, or slow down...never happened.  Ha ha ha.  I just didn't know what to expect. 

3. Did you want or try to wean at any point?  I stopped with the Don't offer Don't refuse over a month ago because I never had to offer...she was always asking.  I went to a LLL meeting, and the women there told me I could totally tell her no.  It really boosted my confidence.  I had been nursing her ALL DAY LONG.  We dropped to 5 times a day.  Then we got down to 3.  I got pregnant, and now my nipples kill.  Plus she bites.  So I have her down to 2.  I am dreading weaning her from nap and morning.  Morning is her favorite.  She nurses for at least 45 minutes every morning.  I am in so much pain though. 

4. What's tougher - a nursing strike or a marathon session?  I have never had a nursing strike!  DD is a milk monster. 
  • Options

1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? DD is 17 months

2. How long did you think you were going to nurse (i.e. what was the plan/goal originally)? Before I had kids, I didn't even think I wanted to nurse, and then certainly didn't expect to like doing it.  My original goal was to get to 1 year and as that got closer, I was so reluctant to give it up.  I don't have any expectations now.

3. Did you want or try to wean at any point? I never did.  I wanted her to be the one to decide if she was ready and she hasn't shown any signs.

4. What's tougher - a nursing strike or a marathon session? DD never went through a nursing strike, so I can't compare.  I imagine in the beginning I would have stressed out a nursing strike b/c I would have been so worried about her getting enough.  I never really had a problem when she had marathon nursing sessions... except the 2-hour sessions in the middle of the night.

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want me to put into rotation - post it.  I have been gone since Monday morning and I won't get back until tomorrow night right at bedtime.  I am very nervous that she won't want to nurse anymore, and that would make me very sad.  Thank you so much for doing these updates.  I love reading about the other moms who are extended nursing too.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

imagelitzo27:
    1. How old is your nursing LO? DS turned 1 last Saturday!!

2. How long did you think you were going to nurse (i.e. what was the plan/goal originally)?  My original goal was a year, YEAH I made it.  Things are going well and I'm not planning on stopping for now.

3. Did you want or try to wean at any point?  I'm not sure.  Probably before I go back to work in the fall but we'll see.

4. What's tougher - a nursing strike or a marathon session?  DS has never had a nursing strike, he loves to nurse.

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want me to put into rotation - post it.  I'm so excited to be able to post on this thread!! 

Married 6-7-08
    Everett 4-27-12
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

1.  DS is almost 16 months

2.  The original goal was 6 months or being bitten...We breezed through 6 months, so 1 year became the new goal.  Now, I'm grateful for every day but I think I'll be good if we make it to 2 years.

3.  We only night-weaned out of my necessity for sleep (and that didn't happen until 15 months). I'm hoping he does it on his own because I hate saying no, especially when it comes to nursing.

4.  We never experienced a nursing strike - a bottle strike, yes, from months 2 - 6 (just shoot me!), but those marathon sessions were awesome.  Of course, I say that now that I'm a year removed from them...LOL. 

5.  DS is doing so much better with sleeping at night, but he still insists on getting up at 4am for a quick nurse, then back to sleep til 6:30/7:00.  I'm conflicted about whether to keep letting him nurse at that time or trying to cut that one out.  When it was 5:00 I was up anyway...but 4am sucks. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"