Pregnant after 35
Options

29 Weeks and Having Contractions :(

I went to the hospital with contractions this morning and they gave me Procardia to stop them and it worked.  I have to take 10mg every 4 hours or else they come back.  I'm scared.  The Procardia gave me the worst headache ever and it has lasted all day.  The nurse told me not to take ibuprofen or aspirin... so I told my doctor that my head was going to explode and he gave me a script for Percoset (Vicodin makes me super nauseous).  It helps but my head still hurts.  I went to the chiropractor (which usually gets rid of my headaches immediately)... tried lemon water (which usually magically kills headaches too) and ice packs... and it's finally starting to subside but barely.  I haven't had time to worry about the contractions because my mind-boggling headache has kept me preoccupied.  Anyway... I feel really bad about having taken Ibuprofen from time to time for headaches during my pregnancy because the nurse made such a fuss when I said that I would probably take some for the headache when I got home.  Then I looked it up on the internet more fiercely than I had in the past and found some very disturbing information about how bad it is for the baby.  It just blows me away how Ibuprofen is bad... but Percoset is ok.  Anyway.... I hope to God that I don't have contractions for the next 10 weeks until I deliver... but what would be even worse is if I can't keep them under control with the meds and deliver early.  I want so badly to have a full term baby since my toddler was born at 28 weeks (pre-e).

Re: 29 Weeks and Having Contractions :(

• Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your contractions. Given your history, I can understand that you are very worried, but (as hard as this is) the best thing you can do for yourself is take it as easy as you can, try and relax as much as humanly possible, and st
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • Options

How did your OB never tell you not to take ibuprofen while pregnant? The only thing that is approved as safe is acetaminophen (Tylenol). I'm also surprised that they didn't prescribe Fiorcet for your headache-- it's safe for pregnancy and it's what the

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hope the medication they gave you makes those contractions go away for good and baby can stay tight for a few more weeks!
    nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Ugh I had to take ProCardia for my pre-e in my last pregnancy, and it gave me the worst headaches!  So sorry you have to take it.  In my case they were able to switch me to another blood pressure med/dosage that didn't give me the same side e

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
  • Options
    They did tell me not to take it... but I just didn't take it seriously because everything I had seen on the internet about it was really inconclusive as to why.  I just thought it was like anything else they tell you not to do that is usually not tha
  • Options
    Okay. I'm speaking as a nurse now. But not a maternity/obstetrical nurse or a pediatric nurse.

Ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, etc.-- all those over-the-counter NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)-- can cause contractions. That's the bigg
    *********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Options

Thank you for all the info :)  I am going to ask about possibly trying a different medication to stop the contractions like another poster suggested... and if he says no to that then I will ask about the fiorcet.  I have taken fiorcet before.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"