3rd Trimester
Options

Feel like an idiot: Contractions vs. tightness--STM

So on Monday I was having a buncha contractions, got in to see my OB and was given the all clear (yes I'm 1 cm dilated and she's fully dropped/head down rarin' to go).  But, although she explained that since I'm a STM, and I'm also HUGE (or so I think) there is a lot of tightness I'm experiencing that is not contraction.  I was even experiencing what I thought was a contraction during my exam and she said my abdomen was NOT tightening for a contraction at that point--but to me it felt like it was.

So, since then I have been really trying to pay attention to my body and figure out when I'm having a BH or contraction of any sort vs. just the tightness, and I am having the darnedest time doing it, and so I feel like an IDIOT.   

Is anyone else experiencing this?  Why would tightness of that extreme nature (where i could seriously bounce a quarter off my belly)  which comes & goes--just like a contraction--but *isn't* a contraction?  

Now I'm half afraid that I'll be in labor and dismiss it until it gets way intense because it's just *tightness* in my head.  (FWIW when I was in labor with DD#1 my contractions were the right timed apart but not all that intense when it started, but so close together I did go in right away and had her that day, so the whole "if you can talk through it" rule didn't even apply then. The contractions didn't get crazy painful (thank you back labor sunny side up baby) until about 6 hours into labor.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Feel like an idiot: Contractions vs. tightness--STM

• Options

It was my understanding that the tightness and pressure that were not painful were BH contractions.  I've been having them off and on for the past couple of days.

It is hard sometimes when the baby moves since they are so big if it is a BH o

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagejinnymb:

It was my understanding that the tightness and pressure that were not painful were BH contractions.  I've been h

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Don't worry...I'm right there with you. I'm also a STM but my water broke with DS so I have no clue what to expect. I didn't have any contractions or BH until I was on pitocin for almost an hour. Right now, I have been having contractions every 2-5 min

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageimn_angel25:

Don't worry...I'm right there with you. I'm also a STM but my water broke with DS so I have no clue what to expec

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I actually am an FTM ... so I am right there with you all, completely clueless. It is really annoying because my OB is super laid back and doesn't take anything seriously.... so I am terrified to ask questions about things like this. I have never once...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The NOT being able to talk through is important.  I went into labor with DS2 with contractions 3 minutes apart to start and they were really painful, there was no doubt it was labor.

These tightness and pressure contractions even though they

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagejinnymb:

The NOT being able to talk through is important.  I went into labor with DS2 with contractions 3 minutes apart t

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

It is hard to explain, but trust me, when you are having contractions you will know, first they every time you feel a contraction it will be more painful and last longer every time (use the contraction counter on thebump.com to keep track), second when

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I definitely will try to err on the side of caution, but it IS frustrating being a STM and still not being sure of what I'm feeling, as my feelings as a STM are different than they were with my first labor.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I hate the condescending doctor talk: "See, many second time moms experience these things called Braxton Hicks..."  Ugh.

FWIW, I could talk through my contractions until I was 7cm the first time around.  

Trust your gut.  I w

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Always Sunny's back b-tches!

• Options
    imagepinkiemo:

I hate the condescending doctor talk: "See, many second time moms experience these things called Braxton Hicks..." &

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"